Who do you host with and why?

TroyW

Top Contributor
It really depends on a number of factors including:

1. Price
2. Quality
3. Infrastructure - Do you need PHP, etc
4. Your own knowledge and how much you can do yourself
5. Reason for hosting - is it just for holder pages or a full site?
6. SEO - your hosting can effect your seo, so choose wisely.

I use a couple of different providers depending on what I'm doing with the website. For general use I would recommend Intaserve to friends, etc - not the cheapest (about mid-range) but they do a great job and have excellent customer service.

TW

soj

Founder
Troy is on the ball again, youll need to list all the features you NEED, all the features you WANT, all the features you can live without. Think about how much you want to spend, also how many websites/domains you would like to host.

This site and a few others are running on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) from LiquidWeb at US$50 a month. They have been pretty good, and have all the features i need, php, mysql, cpanel, fantastico, and a few others. Sometimes the speeds are a little slow, but other than that, pretty good value for money.

If you have a bit of money to throw around, then id definitely suggest Steadfast Networks, they have been serving my brothers company well, with about 10+ servers, any problems are dealt with fast and efficiently, and any upgrades are done in a timely manner.

There are so many web hosting companies to choose from and a lot of people have had varying experiences with them, check out the great forum over at webhostingtalk.com

Sway

Redalto Communications Web Hosting is who I use. Two of my sites require very high up time and Redalto offers a premium hosting solutions which use a clustered hosting setup which solves this issue. Although the service is expensive, competitors such as webcentral as charging up to three times as much as them per month.

Sway

I just took a look at their site and it appears they have a December gig hosting plan special, I looked into the plan specs and it allows 6 parked domains and 3 addon domains so including the primary domain you could host 10 domains under the one account.

I compared the plan to the well known cheap provider Smartyhost and they are cheaper.... shame I'm an existing customer already I guess.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Thanks for the feedback guys.

In the medium term I ended up going with DreamHost.com

Unlimited everything for a year for US$9.24. Looked pretty sexy to me.

(after which I guess it reverts to normal pricing)

Last edited:

dntech

I host dozens of sites with www.aussiehost.com and have done so for many months now. I have never been happier. Cheap rates (from $15 per month to host unlimited addon domains), lightning fast speeds due to local Aus servers and the best support I have ever experienced. Any time I've opened a ticket I've had a response within minutes and a resolution always the same day.

Don't think they offer the higher end stuff like VPS or dedicated servers but if you're after basic hosting then you can't go wrong.

Rhythm

Top Contributor
Thanks guys.

Keep the recommendations coming! Still looking for a longterm local hosting solution.

marketingweb

Top Contributor
For high quality hosting (datacenter in Australia) I use Netlogistics. Their support is superb, and super quick 24 hours a day at any time. Two years ago today (on New Year's Day 2008) I registered a domain name and set up hosting, and it was all sorted by a human technician within about 1 hour - on a public holiday! I currently have two clients on their standard plans as well as a 10 domain reseller plan with just a couple domains on it right now.

HOWEVER I'm on the lookout for a cheap and nasty (but not too nasty) standard account hosted in the USA, basically to use for some domains i'm developing "mini sites" for, really just domain parking. Basically want dirt cheap as i'm just starting out with this, no hassles and be able to host a few domains on one account.

So far i've narrowed it down to Fatcow, Supergreen Hosting, Dreamhost, Greengeeks.com or ipage.com , having excludes justpages, hostmonster and a few others that have lots of bad reviews.

Has anyone got any thoughts on these?

Thanks
Matt

djuqa

Top Contributor
1 word
HostGator
Perfect for MiniSites
I use them for all of mine (I am the MiniSite KING)

aHugeList

I have a standard and a reseller account with hostgator - and other than catching them out in a bare faced lie so they could charge me extra for a service, I have been happy and have had no major issues with them at all. Support is half decent and I have had near perfect uptime with them.

I have had some very bad hosting experiences and hostgator has been the best of the bunch so far and I trust them to do the right thing by my clients (on my reseller) as far as security and service go.

marketingweb

Top Contributor
Thanks for the advice.

I've ended up putting them on a "forgotten" hosting account I signed up with someone called freehostia.com a while ago (it's their lowest level paid account which I think I paid like $50 for a year for a couple months ago). Completely forgot I had it until I was about to sign up with host gator. My very limited experience of them says they are ok, no hassles but a little slow in site speed.

aHugeList - would you mind mentioning who you had bad experiences with so we can be sure to avoid?

Matt

aHugeList

aHugeList - would you mind mentioning who you had bad experiences with so we can be sure to avoid?

Matt

Sure thing :)
Started out with yahoo - AGHHHH they lost all my files TWICE in the first year, and once in the second year. This time when they found them they deleted them for adult content (it was an erotic story) closed my account and my yahoo ID (no contact - they just did it) and took me 3 months to get my domain name back - thank goodness the company they resell for gave it back to me in the end. The adult content was my fault - their incompetence and poor communication was theirs! (plus I didn't know at the time they charge way too much)

Tried a new start up company recommended by a friend (cant remember the name blue-something???) that vanished three months in with my $.

Next I went with servage for a normal account. Cheap and ok for first year - then three server wide hacks, poor support and huge down time since then. I don't have any sites there now but they ended up giving me so much credit for their f-ups that Im still paid until mid 2010 lol - its a shame - they COULD be good but prefer to lie than fix things.

Hostmonster
Paid and signed up for a normal account but they wanted me to jump through so many hoops to confirm my identity (overseas phone calls, faxes, heaps of ID that Im not happy handing over) I canceled without using them - just too much drama for a simple hosting account.

Namecheap - I love them as a registrar but they don't (or didnt then) have cpanel - I found their user interface strange so I canceled

Serverwow - purchased a master reseller account. Paid, set up. A week later I went to log in and my account was gone, so is serverwow, so is my money!

Dreamhost - seems ok, but support was very very slow with some set up questions. Then I just forgot I had signed up with them and I didn't get around to using the account so I canceled.

I am now using hostgator as I stated - other than being lied to I have found them the best so far.

I have this month set up a couple of reseller accounts with a new host.
Accounts only up a week when they decided to shift us all to a new server after banning updates for 3 days (not a good start) If they improve or get worse I'll add my experiences with them later - Id like to give them more than a week before I declare them crap lol

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo