What's new

Who are you using for Energy/ GAS?

James

Top Contributor
Looking for a new electricity and Gas company for a new unit in NSW. Who is decent these days every company is rated 1/10 on review sites LOL

Currently I noticed "Red Energy" seems to be the only one rated with a pass mark LOL..

Currently using Energy Australia.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
Looking for a new electricity and Gas company for a new unit in NSW. Who is decent these days every company is rated 1/10 on review sites LOL

Currently I noticed "Red Energy" seems to be the only one rated with a pass mark LOL..

Currently using Energy Australia.

To be honest I think they are all the same... But I have been told the two best are Red Energy and Powershop.

James

Top Contributor
To be honest I think they are all the same... But I have been told the two best are Red Energy and Powershop.

The only thing that scares me off Red Energy is the website looks very old school and all the documents seem to be in PDF...

I like Origin how they seem to be very quick to get things moving the only downside is reviews people seem to be VERY pissed off.

Powershop do not seem to be established in NSW - http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/6/23/energy-markets/powershop-eyes-nsw-move

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Definitely not all the same, unless you are talking about Standing Offers.

Standing offer contracts are basic electricity and gas contracts with terms and conditions that are prescribed by law and designed to protect your rights

"Market Offers" on the other hand the competitive ones, and it's up to each retailer how they charge (Off peak, peak, shoulder and I believe now at least one is doing or planning to do hourly rates).

One thing many people don't know is if you have been in the same house since 2001 or have moved into a house and don't sign up to a market offer then your retailer is only required to offer you a standing offer. These offers aren't very competitive.

You definitely don't want to be on a standing offer.

I've touched on this previously, but a few years ago I built a comprehensive (and independent) comparison engine for electricity and gas tariffs, and before that I worked with some retailers on their websites and I'm still confused.

VIC residents can use the following government websites to find a better deal:
http://switchon.vic.gov.au (electricity)
http://yourchoice.vic.gov.au (gas)

As mentioned previously:
One way to go would be to phone EnergyWatch and then check the offer on the YourChoice website to see how competitive it is. I've seen this done, and the EnergyWatch salesperson came back with a better offer!

On a side note, this is a very interesting read that will boil your blood:
http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/july/1404136800/jess-hill/power-corrupts

NB: This info is mostly relevant to VIC. Each state does their own thing..

Last edited:

petermeadit

Top Contributor
The only thing that scares me off Red Energy is the website looks very old school and all the documents seem to be in PDF...

I like Origin how they seem to be very quick to get things moving the only downside is reviews people seem to be VERY pissed off.

Powershop do not seem to be established in NSW - http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/6/23/energy-markets/powershop-eyes-nsw-move

Origin seems to be a higher price, but could be justified by the quality of service? The feedback could be due to the large scale of customers compared to others, I guess there will be more complaints the more customers are on board.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
BTW the VIC govt spent a small fortune on that SwitchOn website. Pretty sure you can connect it to your smart meter and work out if it's better to turn the air con on now or in 15 mins.. or at least that was the idea.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Origin seems to be a higher price, but could be justified by the quality of service? The feedback could be due to the large scale of customers compared to others, I guess there will be more complaints the more customers are on board.

Not sure what you mean by quality of service? Power is power.. the retailers buy it off the wholesaler, and then it all travels down the same power lines (generally owned by another company) to your house. Or something to that effect. You can't choose which power plant it comes from :)

Not sure if customer service really comes into play to much? They are all governed by law to behave a certain way.

Last edited:

James

Top Contributor
Decided to go with Origin in the end they seemed more professional.

Im not locked in as well so should be sweet.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Decided to go with Origin in the end they seemed more professional.

Im not locked in as well so should be sweet.

Still bemused why this matters. All the retailer does is bill you, it's the distributer that delivers electricity to your property.

Too late now but Honan mentioned to me once that Dodo were quite cheap

It's interesting that Dodo is in the market. Budget branding even though the product is the same :)

Personally I think the bigger retailers like AGL are probably able to offer a better deal.

James

Top Contributor
Still bemused why this matters. All the retailer does is bill you, it's the distributer that delivers electricity to your property.

It's interesting that Dodo is in the market. Budget branding even though the product is the same :)

Personally I think the bigger retailers like AGL are probably able to offer a better deal.

Nah just wanted to ask on here to get some feedback I know pricing is based on what people use. I was more curious from a service point of view that is all thought maybe some insights on here as review sites everyone was going crazy at every company I could not get a clear message.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Have been using Dodo, I usually switch every couple of years to whoever is the cheapest. There is usually a 20% or so difference between the provider type companies (e.g. origin, agl, citipower etc) and the cheapest. If you switch they will send a letter offering a discount to try and get you back.

Agree with the comments about service etc, why does any of that matter, what service? All you are selecting is who is sending you the bill.

When choosing though you need to look at the actual rates after any discount and compare it to your current bill.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member