What's new

Which one to buy?

neddy

Top Contributor
Can I ask for your advice please?

I'm looking to buy a new monitor - and because of old age and failing eyesight, I thought I'd get a 27" screen. :)

They seem very cheap at the moment - and the two on my shortlist are:

1. Asus VE278Q 27 inch 2ms LED LCD - $357 incl postage

2. Samsung S27A350H 2ms 27 inch LED LCD Monitor Full HD HDMI - $348 incl postage

I'm not a technical person - is one better than the other? Or any other suggestions please?

Cheers, Ned

acheeva

Top Contributor
Ned; I work from 2 x Samsumg 27" SyncMaster

No problems - good clear quality 24/7

But I am ready to migrate up to a bigger screen already (I am too vein for glasses)

Last time I went to get my eyes checked the doc said "yes you have a problem, it is common... it is called ageing"

payattention

Archived Member
I'd go the Samsung; less power consumption and they're a great brand. Having said that, I recently purchased a 24" BENQ gaming monitor and it's 120hz refresh rate has really helped avoid any eye strain. There aren't many 120hz 27" monitors at the moment though.

neddy

Top Contributor
Ned; I work from 2 x Samsumg 27" SyncMaster

No problems - good clear quality 24/7

But I am ready to migrate up to a bigger screen already (I am too vein for glasses)

Last time I went to get my eyes checked the doc said "yes you have a problem, it is common... it is called ageing"

Ha ha! I know the feeling Greg.

By the way - are you vein or vain? Can't spell in your old age as well? ;)

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'd go the Samsung; less power consumption and they're a great brand. Having said that, I recently purchased a 24" BENQ gaming monitor and it's 120hz refresh rate has really helped avoid any eye strain. There aren't many 120hz 27" monitors at the moment though.

Thanks Jonathan. I currently have a BENQ, and have been very happy with it. I'm not a gamer, so the "refresh rate" probably doesn't matter much.

Shane

Top Contributor
I'm a BENQ man too. Only 22" for me though. Very happy with the monitor for the price.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
For what you will be using it for Neddy it's not really going to matter which one you get.. they both look like good monitors.

I've got a few Samsungs.. had no problems.

nina

Top Contributor
I have have Samsung, LG, Asus, Chimea ones here - we have 6 or so monitors for work -

I am personally using a Samsung and LG 22" and wonder about getting bigger screens or should I just get three screens to make work easier.

The LG is a whiter type of screen, whereas the Samsung is slightly softer and less glaring on the eyes.

I have had them both similar times and think they are equally as good so for me, the full HDMI feature would be the decision maker for me.

The Asus (which my staff use) I noticed that when we were doing some design work, the colour rendering was not quite as true but it could also be because it's not calibrated.

The fact that there is a slight cost savings on power with Samsung is another reason I might consider it.

These are both good monitors - they read well, and I guess you could flip a coin and be happy about the decision.

I would be curious to know which one you get.

The refresh rate is also important -I find that some monitors make me tired and nauseous when looking at them - and the refresh rate on my eyes is very important when I'm here for long periods of time. It's not all about games.

Tell us when you make a decision - I'd like to know.

Nina

Webfunk

Top Contributor
I also have the 24" Benq gaming monitor (23.6" to be exact) with a 120hz refresh and 2ms response - great montior, couldn't be happier. Not quite the 27" size you're looking for, but certainly one of the best monitor's on the market imo... I got mine for about $380 from UMART. Model is XL2410T

zhenjie

Top Contributor
Just for office work Neddy? Those two would be fine. Myself, I waited until Dell had their sales on 27" IPS monitors which give fair bit better colour reproduction. Not necessary for day to day office task.

IMO, I still find myself more productive on 2 x 24" setups. You may find the high resolution of 27" actually makes things look smaller then 24".

DomainNames

Top Contributor
I would go for 22" Led and put them side by side on this or your eyes would find it hard to work on 2 x 27"'s wouldnt they?. http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/378/language/en-AU/Default.aspx

Standing up and sitting sometimes while you work is the latest craze. Im involved in some research into it at some Universities. It makes a huge difference to how you feel.. There is a lot of info here www.juststand.org

http://juststand.org/tabid/636/language/en-US/default.aspx BENEFITS

Dell, HP , www.ergoport.com.au www.sitbackandrelax.com.au all sell them now

Videos http://juststand.org/tabid/638/language/en-US/default.aspx

Funny video http://youtu.be/EV_i_mi---w

Last edited:
I recommend Samsung LED which I use at home, nice sharp picture, low power consumption and reliable. I still have 14 inch Samsung LCD monitor (now retired), one of the originals which is still working perfectly (just a couple of dead pixels) - Samsung are great

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member