What's new

When opportunity knocks!

neddy

Top Contributor
I saw this image on LinkedIn today, and it really is the epitome of being an entrepreneur!

And here's the story behind it:

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/say-yes-then-learn-how-to-do-it-later

findtim

Top Contributor
good story, actually it was miles that learnt, what richard did was "find someone to do it"

i asked one of my freelances to do something 2 months ago, i asked "can you do this" ? his reply was, i'll contact you tomorrow after i learn how to tonight..... and he did

that is who you want working for you :)

tim

James

Top Contributor
It is a tricky statement, I have seen many people who do not know how to do something then they attempt to do it them selves to save a few dollars and they mess it up even more some times in a BIG way. This is what happens with SEO and Disavows all the time!!! Have seen many companies pretty much WIPE them selves off the SERPs by DIYing it lol.

I think in general this statement is good for wider business schemed ideas it is very true, take a project on and learn how to do it with staff who have the skills.

A good quote from a old Manager director we had a few years ago when we were going for a 10 million dollar pitch and we did not have the staff do it it.

"Worry about winning the pitch first, then we worry about getting the staff later"....

Saw this happen many times over the years.

James.

Shane

Top Contributor
One on hand I like it, but on the other I really don't...

In the last year I have given great opportunities to two new employees, both of whom told me they could succeed in the role despite not having a huge amount of experience at this level.

Both failed miserably and basically just lied their way through the interview process. Well they either lied or they massively overestimated their own abilities!

A pair of very costly mistakes they were, both of whom thankfully no longer work for me.

The idea of the quote is great, but with so many things it's all about the execution. :)

findtim

Top Contributor
execution is the key.

i think henry ford said " you can't build a reputation on what you are going to do "

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members