1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

When does the reform to auDA rules come into effect?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by Guidex, May 22, 2019.

1. Guidex

Guidex Membership: Community

I've been reading through the reform to the rules and it doesn't stipulate when these rule changes apply
    In regards to warehousing, I usually develop my domains as I'm a web developer, if it isn't a business idea it would be a directory/informational site
    Does the 6 month rule apply to developing the domains?

2. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    No. Those PRP policies were a bizarre utopian pipe dream that were shattered by the auDA board back in April. We are now waiting for auDA to release their final paper on the licensing rules. Due any day now.

Guidex likes this.
  3. Guidex

4. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Management response is here.
    https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uploads/auDA-Management-Report-PRP-Recommendations-Final.pdf

Proposed licensing rules here:
    https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uploads/auDA-Licencing-Rules-consultation-final.pdf

Proposed .au implementing rules here:
    https://www.auda.org.au/assets/Uploads/auDA-namespace-implementation-rules-15-April-2020.pdf

Most of the PRP recommendations were superseded by the auDA management Response. The new policy implementation rules for the .au are in part unsuitable such as a yearly application fee payable to auDA for conflicted domain holders, non-transferable application rights, and anti-leasing (IMHO) and from what can gather were decided on yesterday (TBA)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Guidex likes this.
  5. Guidex

Resale The prohibition on registering a domain name for the sole purpose of resale has not been retained.
    Does this mean we can purchase for the sole purpose of resale?
    I won't be participating in the .au space - More questioning the sale/resale/warehousing of .com.au's

6. Scott.L

auDA Member:
    Yes
    No. There are relevant examples applicable to this rule that prohibits it.

For example: you can't register a domain name that is the name of a registered business and seek to sell them that domain name. i.e. ABC mechanics PTY LTD did not register the exact match domain name, so you register it for the sole purpose if selling it to him.