What's new

When a Brand really wants that domain.

Horshack

Top Contributor
They couldn't even buy one of the top 15 "Buy It Now" listings on Netfleet for that money. I just think it's hilarious.
I think this is something that Netfleet really needs to look into. There's always going to be those who think their domains are worth much more than they are but Netfleet have a wealth of experience regarding domain values so maybe reviewing listing prices is an area they could look into. It's a difficult one.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I think this is something that Netfleet really needs to look into. There's always going to be those who think their domains are worth much more than they are but Netfleet have a wealth of experience regarding domain values so maybe reviewing listing prices is an area they could look into. It's a difficult one.
The solution is simple. Set a limit on asking price.

The limit could be as high as $1,000,000. The majority of domains would of course be well below that level.

When there are domains priced at $150,000,000 - clearly there's something wrong with the current system. Prices like that make a mockery of the marketplace.

Last edited:

snoopy

Top Contributor
They couldn't even buy one of the top 15 "Buy It Now" listings on Netfleet for that money. I just think it's hilarious.

They could probably buy em all 10 times over, because none of those people will genuinely hold out for even 1% of those prices.

snoopy

Top Contributor
The solution is simple. Set a limit on asking price.

The limit could be as high as $1,000,000. The majority of domains would of course be well below that level.

When there are domains priced at $150,000,000 - clearly there's something wrong with the current system. Prices like that make a mockery of the marketplace.

Think any artificial limits are silly, Sedo do this and it makes a lot of names difficult to list with them. e.g. you list a name you paid $15k for and it tells you the most it can be listed for is 10k. You end up just not bothering listing that name, it ends up that lots of names cannot be listed easily.

Just as an example a crap name listed for for $1million looks only very marginally better than $150 million. So where do you draw the line, a lot of names would look silly at 20k for example. How low is the limit going to go before it makes the marketplace look more credible and at that limit what is the effect on high quality names?

At the end of the day though what is the point of even listing on Netfleet? What are people hoping for listing with them, do they have any distribution at all?

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Think any artificial limits are silly, Sedo do this and it makes a lot of names difficult to list with them. e.g. you list a name you paid $15k for and it tells you the most it can be listed for is 10k. You end up just not bothering listing that name, it ends up that lots of names cannot be listed easily.

Just as an example a crap name listed for for $1million looks only very marginally better than $150 million. So where do you draw the line, a lot of names would look silly at 20k for example. How low is the limit going to go before it makes the marketplace look more credible and at that limit what is the effect on high quality names?

At the end of the day though what is the point of even listing on Netfleet? What are people hoping for listing with them, do they have any distribution at all?
I get what you're saying and the Sedo example certainly rings true for me (their $10k limit is completely ridiculous).

However, I do think there needs to be some sensible limit on local marketplaces. $1m is definitely high enough for the .au market imho. Very few examples of domains that I could see going for more than that.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Yep, this is an issue that applies to all of the domain marketplaces.

The reality is that most sales come from people visiting the domain or reaching out via whois details.

That's one of the reasons why I no longer have any .au domains listed on Netfleet (or any other marketplaces). 99% of my sales are the result of offers made through my parking pages.

snoopy

Top Contributor
However, I do think there needs to be some sensible limit on local marketplaces. $1m is definitely high enough for the .au market imho. Very few examples of domains that I could see going for more than that.

Why would you choose $1million though, because those $150million names will just be priced at $1million, how much better is that?

What happens if someone tries to list jobs.com.au and they want $1.1million? Why not make the limit $10k, because there has only ever been 70 reported .com.au sales over 10k? If Netfleet is a crap venue anyway, who cares?

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Why would you choose $1million though, because those $150million names will just be priced at $1million, how much better is that?
So just stick with the status quo ...because $1m is only a bit less ridiculous than $150m?!

In many circumstances, there are no 'perfect solutions'. Imo it's better to improve the situation with a solution that at least partly addresses the problem, rather than ignore it completely for lack of a silver bullet.
What happens if someone tries to list jobs.com.au and they want $1.1million? Why not make the limit $10k, because there has only ever been 70 reported .com.au sales over 10k? If Netfleet is a crap venue anyway, who cares?
As is the case with Sedo, I've got no doubt that if someone wanted to price a phenomenal domain like that above the limit, then the marketplace would be happy to accommodate ;)

snoopy

Top Contributor
So just stick with the status quo ...because $1m is only a bit less ridiculous than $150m?!

In many circumstances, there are no 'perfect solutions'. Imo it's better to improve the situation with a solution that at least partly addresses the problem, rather than ignore it completely for lack of a silver bullet.

I don't think there is any real problem to deal with. To even see those names you'd need to start searching for the most expensive domains on netfleet, aside from domainers who is going to bother with that?

As is the case with Sedo, I've got no doubt that if someone wanted to price a phenomenal domain like that above the limit, then the marketplace would be happy to accommodate ;)

They would, but it just serves as a roadblock. Many people wouldn't even bother with Sedo, having to argue the case on individual names.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo