1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Preferred Domain Prefix/Suffix?

Discussion in 'General Domain Discussion' started by aus11, Jan 20, 2012.

1. aus11

aus11 Membership: VIP

Say the keyword domain you are looking for is taken (both .com.au & .net.au), do any of you have a prefix or suffix that they regularly use?

For example say you want CarParts.com.au but it and the .net.au are taken, would you reg:

- carpartsHUB
    - BUYcarparts
    - carpartsHQ (short for headquarters - probably more relevant in the US).

I know from a domaining point of view just the keyword would be most valuable, but say you are planning to develop a site around a keyword - is there any one that you regularly use?

2. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    It depends a lot on the market.

I have a few "Find" domains, but they are specific to what my sites are.

3. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Obvious prefixes you could use for most domains with be i and e - eg iCarParts.com.au sounds pretty good

'My' can work well in some cases - MyCarParts.com.au for example

However if you are looking hard at SEO, it might be worth adding another specific KW to the domain rather than a 'brandable' prefix - like what you suggested with buycarparts.com.au or you could go discountcarparts.com.au, australiancarparts.com.au, usedcarparts.com.au. So rather than just add something for the sake of it, you might be able to make it work for you

4. FirstPageResults

FirstPageResults Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    'direct' is another popular choice for ecommerce

5. Ash

Ash Membership: Trader

Do Google and others demonstrate any preferences for suffixes over prefixes?

keywordsuffix > prefixkeyword

I.e., is it better for your SEO if the keyword is used first followed by a suffix or does it not matter?

6. DavidL

DavidL Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I would say target KW first woiuld be marginally better...

I think it's been shown that in titles and dsecriptions it's benmeficial to have you target KW as close to the start as possible so maybe it's the same with domains itself.

James - what do you think?