1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

What's going on in hackerz world right now?

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by helloworld, Sep 13, 2012.

1. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

GoDaddy got hacked. DNS is now hosted by their Verisign (competitor). Crazy got hacked (i heard). My server has been under attack. Mostly wordpress exploits.

Serious headaches and 15 hour days. I wish they would leave the little guys alone. Anyone else had troubles recently ?

2. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I asked a room of around 60 web developers if anyone has had their sites hacked, around half have - so you're not alone.

It already needs some updating, but take a look here for some ideas to add a few extra layers of security to your WordPress sites:

http://www.dntrade.com.au/wordpress-security-tips-t5295.html?p=41930#post41930

johno69 put me on to Wordfence which is pretty sweet and definitely gaining in popularity. You'll quickly see how many automated scans are hitting your site every day.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    InfiniteWP are looking to integrate Wordfence into their system too.

4. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    That will be nice...

5. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

Yep; johno69's Wordfence suggestion has been a great one to use on all my WP sites.

I make it a ritual to use the least amount of plugins I can, but Wordfence is an exception.

6. Ash

Ash Membership: Trader

I was thinking of trying out Squarespace 6 for one of my sites... I know it's a hosted solution but may help remove some of the hassle of backups etc...

7. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    No hassle

8. Ash

Ash Membership: Trader

OK, that looks cool. I had my wires crossed and thought it had the hacking issues that FindTim was talking about but just read back through the other thread and can see it was ManageWP with the problems.

Cheers for the tip.

9. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

Thank again johno69

Good deal on with that right now too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    np. The add-ons are great. I grabbed them right away.

11. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

Oh yeah Joomla. Don't even ask me about Joomla.

Seriously not a good choice. They're up to 2.5? at the moment a few clients are running 1.5 none of them have the skills to update it and of course, their original developers are no where to be found.

Had to shut off php_ini explouts galore. So ghey.

I will check out squarespace, Ash. Cheers. I even started looking at Google sites yesterday but their templates are shit and it doesn't look like you can mod much. Pretty much explains why Google haven't moved into the hosting space though, can you imagine what would happen.

You know what I have never seen hacked? RV Site buiilder. It's the free website builder that comes with most cpanel hosting. Funnily enough, it is possible to make some really nice websites. Drawbacks are that for cms based edits you upload the entire site again.

Not bad for straight code edits though.

12. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes

try this: joomla to wordpress plugin

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/joomla-15-importer/

setup a new site on your server, import it , fix minor issues then redelegate to the domain

tim