What's new

What to do with DROP.net.au?

boppity

Picked up DROP.NET.AU recently, thought I'd check if Drop/Fabulous wants it, but they don't - didn't even talk prices - shocked me a little because this is their core business and you would assume getting the net.au would be a no-brainer.

boppity

Why would they want it? They have the business built on a .com.au domain, .net.au can be a waste of money at times. Personally I am cutting back on .net.au and only want to keep REALLY GOOD ones which make money each year.

Why not is equally valid.

James

Top Contributor
Maybe just make an analysis of daily drops or something, which may be valuable to end users who want to use your service. Other then that if an end user turns a purchase offer down, just move on and stop worrying about it. For every 10 knock backs you might have 1 interested buyer.

neddy

Top Contributor
Picked up DROP.NET.AU recently, thought I'd check if Drop/Fabulous wants it, but they don't - didn't even talk prices - shocked me a little because this is their core business and you would assume getting the net.au would be a no-brainer.

You have two major problems boppity. And I'm not having a go at you - I'm trying to help you.

1. Sounds like you're saying you purchased this for the sole purpose of resale. Big no no.

2. In terms of eligibility, what is your close and substantial connection to the domain? You also have a Netfleet parking / for sale page up which does not help your cause.

Check out these two threads to see what can happen:

https://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-policy-news/8665-auda-complaints.html

https://www.dntrade.com.au/netfleet-com-au/8185-netfleet-parking-pages-2.html#post62793

boppity

I think you missed my point.

Why would an industry leader of domain names not even be interested?

boppity

Ok I have to nip this misdirection in the bud.
On point 1 and 2. DO NOT insinuate buying for the sole purpose of resale, there are infinite things you can do with a common word, this is not netfleet.net.au which would be unique enough to raise such a concern. Furthermore, their domain is a common word so there is nothing stopping a competitor.

I presented an opportunity to discuss why an industry leader in domain names would contradict their core business marketing and not even consider it.

You have two major problems boppity. And I'm not having a go at you - I'm trying to help you.

1. Sounds like you're saying you purchased this for the sole purpose of resale. Big no no.

2. In terms of eligibility, what is your close and substantial connection to the domain? You also have a Netfleet parking / for sale page up which does not help your cause.

Check out these two threads to see what can happen:

https://www.dntrade.com.au/auda-policy-news/8665-auda-complaints.html

https://www.dntrade.com.au/netfleet-com-au/8185-netfleet-parking-pages-2.html#post62793

neddy

Top Contributor
Ok I have to nip this misdirection in the bud.
On point 1 and 2. DO NOT insinuate buying for the sole purpose of resale, there are infinite things you can do with a common word, this is not netfleet.net.au which would be unique enough to raise such a concern. Furthermore, their domain is a common word so there is nothing stopping a competitor.

I presented an opportunity to discuss why an industry leader in domain names would contradict their core business marketing and not even consider it.

I'm not insinuating anything - as I said, I'm trying to help you avoid problems others have been through.

These are the facts as I understand them:

• You purchased this on Netfleet on the 29th December, and immediately parked it with them. The parking page has a for sale banner and no monetisation.

• Within a week thereafter, you approached Drop.com.au and asked them if they'd be interested in buying the domain. You sound genuinely surprised that they rebuffed you.

Let's not even discuss my original point one. I'm not here to create an argument with you. But my second point is very valid. What is your "close and substantial connection" to the domain?

snoopy

Top Contributor

Not many people would see buying a .net.au as a no brainer.

I think you missed my point.

Because the extension is terrible. Drop would know that more than most. They see them sold for peanuts (or not sold at all) daily.

findtim

Top Contributor
WOW, so early in the year and boppity you are WAY OUT in front for the annual dnt silly award.

Ned's being REAL nice here, and I commend Snoppy for holding back so well.

if I was you I would email drop and give it to them ( but they probably won't take it unless you pay the COR ) , or I'd 301 redirect it to drops homepage ( but they will probably disavow you), or even better count your loss/experience/lesson and do a PD on it..... NOW.

this thread needs to be moved into "newbies wiki" and "Friday funnies"

sorry mate but you just got it all soooo wrong and as Ned said
I'm trying to help you avoid problems others have been through

so pay attention

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor

Even the very best .net.au's are hard to sell.

This name has has little commercial appeal, and DROP themselves don't gain much (if anything) by acquiring the name.

Chalk it up to experience and move on. Almost all of us made silly mistakes and registered crap, so don't get down on it.

findtim

Top Contributor
Create a website selling wine :)

lets keep on track to the original post as its very important this message gets across to those who read this in the future, instead of offering alternatives .... even though well meaning suggestions.

we as a community really need to constantly reinforce we obey the rules, BECAUSE we actually do and if a member goes outside the rules then we are here to help them.

tim

petermeadit

Top Contributor
A reminder to members about the forum rules and etiquette.

In the best interest of the DNTrade community, and to maintain a public forum which is respectful of all members, it is important for DNTrade members to remain mindful of the forum rules: https://www.dntrade.com.au/dntrade-rules.php

In simple terms forum members should refrain from using language which includes insulting remarks or words that are designed to belittle another member and/or personally directed to them in a way that makes them feel unwelcome in the public forum.

DNTrade is focused on fostering a forum where constructive criticism is welcomed for new members and experienced members alike.

boppity

this is gossip

its not an opportunity to discuss irrelevant auda policy nor make potentially libelous assumptions and then publish these in a public forum (while telling me I'm an idiot and you're helping me).

I thought this would be an interesting bit of gossip as everyone knows drop.

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Hi Boppity,

I would heed the advice you are getting in this thread.

Registering the .net.au version of a .com.au and then trying to sell it almost immediately to the .com.au owner is not really advisable. It’s always going to be a tough sell, and depending on the com.au registrant it may even trigger an auDA complaint.

And to reiterate what I emailed you - having the .net.au is not a major priority for us – there’s little to no benefit for us in owning the domain. Not having it won’t adversely affect our business – as it hasn’t done over the previous 5 years of drop.net.au’s registration.

As FPR said, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Andrew

dicardo83

I have a few .net.au domain names which I'm looking at setting up using Wordpress based on the domain name subject. You've got the domain name for 2 years now so you may as well look at using it for monetisation if no one wants to buy it.

Once it's an established website you may find other parties are interested in negotiating a price?

boppity

Hi Andrew
Some members have hijacked this thread. What was gossip about business plans for net.au degraded with the first few member comments.
I have asked for it to be deleted so that members don't get away with publishing libel. Safe to say the trolls have convinced me not to engage the dntrade community again.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member