What's new

What is unrealistic? For Prices in Domain Names for .AU

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Is this a real estimate value? Or is it wishful thinking?

QueenslandFishing.com.au Buy it now $150,000,000
Found here http://www.netfleet.com.au/all-domains?o=buynow&adv=&l=100&s=
Is that a rhetorical question?! o_O

It's ludicrous.

What's more, if a prospective buyer comes along, then there's a high chance they'll see that ridiculous price and not even bother making an offer.

Batshit crazy pricing sends potential buyers away; and also makes a mockery of the marketplace more broadly. Unfortunately, it's one of many ridiculously-priced domains on Netfleet.com.au (as shown in the link you posted).

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I'm going to expand on my previous comments, because I see this day in, day out.

Buyers don't want to deal with unreasonable people. When they see dramatically overpriced domains, it puts them off even approaching the seller. And this isn't just applicable to extreme examples, such as the gem you've posted above :)

Many times a week I see newly listed domains on marketplaces like netfleet.com.au, with buy now prices that are completely out of touch with reality.

Domains that range from 'crappy' to 'decent', priced at 5 and 6 figures. Through this pricing the sellers are effectively saying "I have completely unreasonable expectations". So potential buyers are likely to look elsewhere. For those domains that are actually decent, the sellers are quite literally self-sabotaging themselves.

Last edited:

Christopher

Top Contributor
Is that a rhetorical question?! o_O

It's ludicrous.

What's more, if a prospective buyer comes along, then there's a high chance they'll see that ridiculous price and not even bother making an offer.

Batshit crazy pricing sends potential buyers away; and also makes a mockery of the marketplace more broadly. Unfortunately, it's one of many ridiculously-priced domains on Netfleet.com.au (as shown in the link you posted).
I was a rhetorical question?!
I know it's crazy, it also is a leading question.
Because I want to know what is reasonable?

Obviously Watching the thread Dropping Domains is going to give me a pretty good idea of the .au marketplace.

And I'm relatively new to the Industry, still learning.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
I know it's crazy, it also is a leading question.
Yes I assumed you understood that the pricing was crazy, I didn't mean to imply otherwise :)
Because I want to know what is reasonable?

Obviously Watching the thread Dropping Domains is going to give me a pretty good idea of the .au marketplace.

And I'm relatively new to the Industry, still learning.
You're asking questions, watching the drops and engaging with other domainers on forums - it seems to me that you're making all the right moves to get up to speed on market values :)

Christopher

Top Contributor
Cool. I do have one question @eBranding.com.au about .com valuations that I'm trying to sort out for my local church.
A domain that represents their brand but a .com (they have the .com.au) is parked, and has been so for a good 8 years, before that was some small site Its on a 10 year registration.

The church contacted an escrow to try and purchase the domain, it's parked on godaddy. But uses domainsbyproxy so I can't find more about the owner. The escrow charged them $100 and then contacted the owner, which told them that they would part with the domain for $50k the church obviously was surprised. Is there any chance that if the owner hasn't done anything with the site that they are just bluffing or wishful thinking on the domain, and we could pitch a much lower price, or is the escrow fluffing up the price so they can get a big piece of it. Thoughts? And should we go back with a lower offer like 2k to see if they bite, or even lower?

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Cool. I do have one question @eBranding.com.au about .com valuations that I'm trying to sort out for my local church.
It's a bit hard to give my two cents without knowing the actual domain. You're welcome to PM me the domain and I would be happy to let you know my thoughts.

It's probably worth noting though, that my portfolio is almost 90% .com.au domains these days. I buy and sell a lot of .au domains, but only sell maybe two or three .com domains a year (although a larger package sale this year would skew those stats! :p).

I'm far more active in the .au namespace these days, so others that are more actively participating in the .com space may have a better grasp of current market activity/pricing. Snoopy on this forum is someone that I think would have a good handle on .com values.

Scott7

Top Contributor
A domain that represents their brand but a .com (they have the .com.au) is parked, and has been so for a good 8 years, before that was some small site Its on a 10 year registration.

The church contacted an escrow to try and purchase the domain, it's parked on godaddy. But uses domainsbyproxy so I can't find more about the owner. The escrow charged them $100 and then contacted the owner, which told them that they would part with the domain for $50k the church obviously was surprised. Is there any chance that if the owner hasn't done anything with the site that they are just bluffing or wishful thinking on the domain, and we could pitch a much lower price, or is the escrow fluffing up the price so they can get a big piece of it. Thoughts? And should we go back with a lower offer like 2k to see if they bite, or even lower?

It's possible that they want 50k (and I'm assuming this is USD) or close to it, no matter what. Obviously there could be a lot of factors influencing this price, such as, what they paid for it (you may be able to find this out through NameBio), the frequency and size of previous offers and sales of comparable names.

It's also possible, depending on the seller, that they price it according to the potential buyer. If the seller knows that a church with the exact match .com.au wants the name, they know that they have a motivated buyer, and possibly a cashed up one (especially if it is or could be conceived as a mega church).

Now that you know who the seller is, it would be worth doing some research to find out as much information as you can, including other names they own, through sites like DomainIQ and DomainBigData.

Scott7

Top Contributor
Now that you know who the seller is, it would be worth doing some research to find out as much information as you can, including other names they own, through sites like DomainIQ and DomainBigData.
Sorry, I just realised that you probably still don't know anything about the seller because of the contact being made through escrow.

Christopher

Top Contributor
It's a bit hard to give my two cents without knowing the actual domain. You're welcome to PM me the domain and I would be happy to let you know my thoughts.

It's probably worth noting though, that my portfolio is almost 90% .com.au domains these days. I buy and sell a lot of .au domains, but only sell maybe two or three .com domains a year (although a larger package sale this year would skew those stats! :p).

I'm far more active in the .au namespace these days, so others that are more actively participating in the .com space may have a better grasp of current market activity/pricing. Snoopy on this forum is someone that I think would have a good handle on .com values.
Thanks, great info. I'll pm you,
domaintools.com says they have history on the registrant, but need a pro account at $99mo anyone using this tool, and can do the query for me?

Christopher

Top Contributor
You could also try DomainBigData.com. While it's not as comprehensive as some sites, it's free and will give you a good snapshot of the owner's portfolio.
Thanks Scott I saw that in your earlier post, and the others too. I've tried them and some says there were 3 registra changes, and a whole lot of other changes. Any way, I can chat about it when we all cathup in Melbourne in the next couple of weeks.

Horshack

Top Contributor

Do you have much success through Netfleet? I rarely look at buying domains on Netfleet these days because of the same reason as this discussion/thread.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Do you have much success through Netfleet? I rarely look at buying domains on Netfleet these days because of the same reason as this discussion/thread.
I've picked up some very good ones from their marketplace over the last few years, but it's pretty rare to find really good domains at good prices.

I certainly haven't bought very many through the Netfleet marketplace though - a total of just seven!

Of those seven, I've sold two domains for $7,500+ (total) and still have some absolute rippers :) They were all purchased in the $XXX range, so looking at the numbers I've done pretty well from those buys.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo