What's new

What is a QR Code?

neddy

Top Contributor
I've been reading posts about QR Codes lately, and at the risk of embarrassing myself, I didn't have a bloody clue what people were
on about! (I am a troglodyte in some regards.) :)

So today I see an article entitled: "eBay opens QR Code Store on London High Street", and I think to myself I better investigate.

http://www.powerretail.com.au/news/ebay-opens-qr-code-store-on-london-high-street/

And for those who share my lack of knowledge (and you don't have to admit it), here is an article that may help:

What Is A QR Code And Why Do You Need One?

neddy

Top Contributor
Billy01 shared this story a few days ago

My apologies to Billy01 - I didn't see his post.

Anyway, I was just talking to another old codger domainer, and I'm pleased to say he didn't have a clue what QR codes were either! I feel a bit better now. ;)

neddy

Top Contributor
Birds of a feather Corey ......... ;)

Djuqa Avatar.png
Corey Avatar.png

Attachments

• Djuqa Avatar.png
    Djuqa Avatar.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Corey Avatar.png
    Corey Avatar.png
    3 KB · Views: 4

paz

We use these in magazine ads at work and soon on product packaging to link to youtube vids etc

acheeva

Top Contributor
Just received a document entitled "21 ways to use a QR code"

Let me know if you would like a copy

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
I remember reading this article from AVG back in June and thinking it was interesting:

But malicious QR codes can be easily generated and placed as stickers over the legitimate QR codes for both small and large-scale attacks on personal and financial identity. Printed flyers offering irresistible deals, but accessible only via a QR code, could easily be left in public places.

By such simple means, cyber criminals, skilled at using sophisticated attacks like spear phishing or other variants of social engineering, can then use their own malicious QR code to phish or pharm the unsuspecting smartphone user to a web page designed to look as though it is a legitimate advertiser. The cyber criminals will have their own web form with instructions on how to sign-up for a service or competition, or purchase some bargain. By completing the form victims provide them with private details and/or money.

More: http://www.avg.com.au/news/avg_au-nz_cautions_beware_of_malicious_qr_codes/#ixzz1fMBcZjPv

payattention

Archived Member
eBay is only opening a temporary store for 5 days; hardly worth a mention. QR codes are just like 3D tech - sounds cool but just isn't practical in the real world. DEFCON has some good talks on barcode hacking which from a nerd perspective is interesting but nothing more than that.

If it ever takes off, you can rest assure I will be running around train stations, posting my own QR codes on billboards that auto "Like" my Facebook pages :p

Billy01

Top Contributor
Aldi

I'd say they have caught on Aldi are already using them in their mail catalogues for kids xmas presents. Try and find the video i previously posted.
So best you get printing those "like" codes!

James

Top Contributor
QR codes are very popular, at my work they have run a few campaigns with them in newspapers.

Also every time I pick up the Real Estate magazines in Sydney now they seem to be filled with QR codes.

My coffee shop at work has gone for over kill but and has like 4 QR codes lol...

But the funny thing is they were invented by Toyota in like 1994, they own the patent to them but they do not go after it lol.

payattention

Archived Member
Are consumers using them though? That's the question! There is a lot of marketing going on but my guess is most people don't even know how to use them or what they are. Most phones don't work with QR codes out of the box either.

I don't think consumers want to scan any type of barcode which is probably why a lot of self service machines in supermarkets are being shut down and/or removed. I'd say the behaviour laps over.

neddy

Top Contributor
Are consumers using them though? That's the question! There is a lot of marketing going on but my guess is most people don't even know how to use them or what they are.

Good point. I'm from an older generation, and I can tell you that heaps of people from my genre wouldn't have a clue what they are. I didn't until a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo