What's new

What happened to Pacific Octane?

Nova

Top Contributor
I noticed some of their old domains listed on NetFleet and their site doesn't resolve - what's the word on the street?

Nova

Top Contributor
Yeah, it does for me now too. So I guess nothing happened to them, just trying to liquidate some assets :)

johno69

Top Contributor
I remember they used to list some on NF without any intention to sell, just to get a feel of the market demand so to speak.

who knows these days...

Nova

Top Contributor
Based on the last ridiculous counter offer I received from one of their domains I can only assume they are still doing it.

the_other_james

Hi Nova. Sometimes a ridiculous counter offer is predetermined by the ridiculous offer. When making an offer in an after market situation, sometimes NetFleet is the right choice for some to remain anonymous. However, in negotiating out an acquisition I have always felt it best to just go straight to the owner as NetFleet does not have the availability of sincerity or add a genuine and tangible meaning to an offer. The only domain name that I purchased through NetFleet was a domain name that had already been sold and never taken off of the listings and I bought it at their target price.

If you are wishing to acquire ride.com.au, gossip.com.au or imagine.com.au, which are the names that have received the massive offers of $120 and so on ;) then please contact me at http://www.pacificoctane.com/contact-us/ and make an offer. Why would you say that my counter offer is ridiculous and make your ridiculous offer irrelevant?

And hi Nova, I'm James- the other james, since the hottest social media and seo guy I know in Australia that I have uber respect for is known here as James... and you are?

Nova

Top Contributor
Hi James, nice to meet you, my name is Joel :)

Bidding needs to start somewhere, so why not at $100?

the_other_james

Hi Joel. Nice to meet you likewise. In going with the philosophy of expert advice on NetFleet, to ensure "activity" and to "generate interest", have a no entry starting bid and a realistic target price. I agree with the advice, but it is also based on perception. I just purchased a domain name for $2k and it's a .net.au. What constitutes a "good deal"? A good deal is a deal in which the buyer and seller are mutually happy and consider it a win/win for both parties. Your bid after the $100 was $120. Now if you can honestly say that you are a domain name professional and you have to start somewhere, I can agree with that, but not with a second offer. Usually in a negotiation, there is immediate grounds for understanding what the expectation of price is going to be by an opening offer and an opening counter offer.

Buyer: I will offer you $100 for your name.
Seller: I will sell it at $100k thanks.
Buyer: (If the buyer is genuine and knows the value of the domain name should either make a "My best last offer $10k" and be done with it, or not even reply at all in my opinion.)

Yeh? The irony to all of the "sales talk" is this mate: Each of those domain names I have mentioned have all received offers in the mid xx,xxx range. We are not wanting to sell them at those prices or we would have already.

:)

Nova

Top Contributor
Your bid after the $100 was $120. Now if you can honestly say that you are a domain name professional and you have to start somewhere, I can agree with that, but not with a second offer.

I only submitted a single bid of $100. The issue I believe lies in the issue of clicking the Back button and causing another POST value to occur. Despite clicking cancel on the warning for re-submitting the form, it obviously re-submitted as I noticed the count for offers was 2, with only my original offer being listed. I did not submit a second bid.

I'll leave it at that.

enjoi

Top Contributor
Buyer: I will offer you $100 for your name.
Seller: I will sell it at $100k thanks.
Buyer: (If the buyer is genuine and knows the value of the domain name should either make a "My best last offer $10k" and be done with it, or not even reply at all in my opinion.)

So the buyer makes the offer?

the_other_james

Good point David and again I believe that is of personal preference. I believe there is a thread in the forum here that addresses strategy concerns with regard to selling domain names and David Lye had the opinion of as a seller to start with an opening price because it sets the benchmark. I too believe that this is the case.

I do see the logic in allowing the person to want to "show their hand" but I personally don't make an open offer on anything and that includes domain names. This has gotten a bit off topic as my friend Spacey would say ;) and nothing has happened to Pacific Octane with the exception of us growing. We are now over 6k .au names strong and look to continue our growth with taking down names such as electricity.com.au and those of similar value.

:)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members