What's new

What email do you use when trying to sell to an end user?

aus11

Top Contributor
After reading the link about end user templates, I have finally decided to give it a try with one or two of my domains.

I've noticed that whenever I get an email from a domainer trying to sell me a domain it ALWAYS seems to come from a gmail account?

Is this what everyone here does, or do you use your business email?

I'd love to hear the 'pros and cons' of each option discussed...

findtim

Top Contributor
i always try to verify a person in some way, as for me if i'm buying then i am my business domains address tim [at] whitecollarwebsites dot comau and you get my phone number in the first email.

tim

DavidL

Top Contributor
I reckon any email other than a gmail or free email is better. A free email account reduces trust and professionalism even before they open it.

If you can be bothered, It would be worth setting up webmail for the domain you are actually selling. That way the email will really catch their eye.

Also always include contact details... Phone number and address and don't be afraid to actually speak to prospects - they won't bite! Just because we are geeky Domainers doesn't mean we have to hide behind emails or IM

djuqa

Top Contributor
I usually use info@{namethat is beingoffered}
at least shows that you have control of the name and is NOT a freebiemail

atom

Administrator
It doesn't matter what dealings I'm having with someone, if it involves trust I agree that a free email address is a big turnoff. One of the first bits of advice I give to anyone establishing a presence online is to grab a good domain name and ditch the free email.

I like the idea of using an address under the domain you're selling, but it could get awkward if you have a few conversations going and have to hand the domain over. I have in the past offered to send/receive emails from an address under a domain to help prove ownership (as well as make specific WHOIS record changes etc).

When I have dealings with someone I like to see their emails coming from a domain that identifies them and/or their business.

aus11

Top Contributor
Thanks for the advise!

I must admit, whenever I see a gmail email from someone trying to sell me a domain (or offer to guest post on my site), they usually get trashed before I even read them.

I might go with using the domain I am trying to sell.

findtim

Top Contributor
I like the idea of using an address under the domain you're selling,

i don't like that idea at all, if i am the buyer i want a separate point of reference for you, to easy to become mickeymouse@blabla.com

i don't think thats a good idea, BE someone, someone the potential buyer can research and gain confidence with, thats how to make quick sales i think.

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
If you're in the business of selling, then use your business credentials. There should be no difference when doing business in a traditional off-line sense; and with selling domains. The internet clouds our perception of doing business with others when it comes to domain names... it's business, so act like it is and treat it that way.

gmail accounts from sellers is instant deletion. If the seller can't even get professional enough to sell, then I'm not going to give the seller one moment of my time. I just cannot take gmail accounts seriously when conducting commerce.

Last edited:

sydneyduo

If you're in the business of selling, then use your business credentials. There should be no difference when doing business in a traditional off-line sense; and with selling domains. The internet clouds our perception of doing business with others when it comes to domain names... it's business, so act like it is and treat it that way.

gmail accounts from sellers is instant deletion. If the seller can't even get professional enough to sell, then I'm not going to give the seller one moment of my time. I just cannot take gmail accounts seriously when conducting commerce.

Ditto

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Feedback I've had from retail buyers is that the email address for the seller should have a close and substantial connection to the registrant whois information. Normally they do not check whois right away but when they start getting serious about buying they tend to find out about whois and it helps if there is some sort of a match.

aus11

Top Contributor
Feedback I've had from retail buyers is that the email address for the seller should have a close and substantial connection to the registrant whois information. Normally they do not check whois right away but when they start getting serious about buying they tend to find out about whois and it helps if there is some sort of a match.

Didn't think about WhoIs... good point!

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
There is also a third piece to the puzzle, the account name for the bank transfer. If there is a connection of sorts between email / whois / account name this helps too.

Some buyers will never get to checking the whois details but they are going to notice your bank account details as they start making the payment. If there is no match you can bet you are going to get asked to explain why you are asking them to make a payment into an account in the caymans called "slipknot investments"

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member