What's new

What .au registrars let you taste and how much is it?

Honan

Top Contributor
"Important to note: there is no current policy position against tasting com.au domains" says George in another thread
Yet another piece of highly valuable information that George has provided to this forum
My question is:
What registrars let you taste i.e. register a com/net.au name and then give it back?
How long?
How much?

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
I know of a few registrars in the past that have allowed customers to taste large volumes of domains. However most stopped the practice because the liability of not deleting the domains correctly was huge.

Probably best illustrated by way of example:

So, you decide to taste say 1000 domain names. The moment these domains are registered the registry (AusRegistry) debits the full amount of $19,250 ($19.25 x 1000) from the registrar's account. Therefore the registrar must have these funds in the AusRegistry bank account, otherwise it will be blocked from registering and renewing any domains at all - not forgetting they have other traditional customers to service. There is a zero lock on the registrar's account with AusRegistry and there are no credit terms available, ALL registrars must pre-pay their accounts.

NB: Makes it difficult for registrars to extend credit to their own customers when they themselves don't enjoy this privilege.

Next, over the 3 day grace period you monitor traffic to decide which domains are worth keeping. Most .au tasters have had to manually check and make decisions with as much time to spare as possible, just so they can let the registrar know which domains to keep or delete safely.

The registrar must purge the domains within the 3 day grace period, otherwise they will not be refunded by AusRegistry. If you miss the cut off by 1 minute, then bad luck.

In summary, you can imagine the liability required for tasting and the relatively small returns for the registrar. If the domains are not deleted, a registrar could lose thousands, all in the effort to chase a few hundred dollars profit.

All this changes however, when you have reliable automated systems that manage everything from the registration, the tasting, the traffic analysis, and even the decision making relating to which domains to keep and which to delete. Under these circumstances it all becomes upside, and you can taste all the way down to the wire. And here lies the challenge.

Best Regards,
George Pongas

WG2010

Archived Member
Interesting thread, I never knew this was possible.

Why would people want to taste domains? Even by using pay per click traffic, wouldn't one need a longer period of time to test a market?

djuqa

Top Contributor
Yes, it has been going on for years
.com tasting got to be a large enough problem for icann introduce measures to limit the numbers

I own gracedelete.com (common name for procedure)
I am making a list of sites that allow/disallow/limit tasting

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads