What's new

What are your thoughts about Top-level domain .cc?

coreyg

Top Contributor
.cc is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Cocos (Keeling) Islands, an Australian territory. It is administered by VeriSign through a subsidiary company eNIC, which promotes it for international registration as "the next .com"; .cc was originally assigned in October 1997 to eNIC Corporation of Seattle WA by the IANA.

Do you have any .cc domain names?

Cheers
Corey

snoopy

Top Contributor
Have one, whois .cc, might have a couple of low quality traffic names also. See the extension as junk personally.

Shane

Top Contributor
I wouldn't touch them personally, but I've always been intrigued by Cue's decision to use cue.cc in their marketing.

Strangely, they even have cue.com.au redirecting to cue.cc

James

Top Contributor
I wouldn't touch them personally, but I've always been intrigued by Cue's decision to use cue.cc in their marketing.

Probably due to bad advice imo, does not look the best on branding and their website needs some help. Probably trying to look "different"

".cc is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Cocos (Keeling) Islands, an Australian territory."

snoopy

Top Contributor
Probably due to bad advice imo, does not look the best on branding and their website needs some help. Probably trying to look "different"

".cc is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Cocos (Keeling) Islands, an Australian territory."

Would imagine so, I can understand how it might come about "cue clothing company", but still it is a confusing and poor choice in my view.

kiml

Cue is a geographic region so they weren't able to register the name in .com.au or .net.au until the geo-name release a few years ago. By that time they had already established cue.cc. I remember talking to a another party who wanted to register the name when the geo names were released, but was worried that the clothing chain would get the name.

The .com extension was already registered to someone else by the time cue.cc was created. If I was to guess, I'd say a marketing genius figured ".cc" = "cue clothing" or similar.... I guess they decided to stick with their existing name.

I remember back when I was a lot younger, the clothing chain supre used to run their primary domain on supre.au.com because the .com.au wasn't available. This has changed now though, but at the time it was pretty confusing. It will be interesting to see if any of the new gTLDs are able to gain enough traction that users will accept them.

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member