1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Westpac Backs HeyYou Domain

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by James, Aug 4, 2015.

1. James

James Membership: VIP

I remember last month we had some good discussion about the HeyYou.com.au domain a few funny comments such as:

- $3000 seems way too much for heyyou.com.au?? What would you do with that domain? dating website?
    - Think it is a very random sale. If you owned 1000 domains like this the portfolio wouldn't make money in my view.

Update story on this domain today Westpac put over 5million into the new name, 3k seems cheap now hahaah

http://www.afr.com/technology/westp...gn_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

2. James

James Membership: VIP

Agree HeyYou was a random domain tho the be fair =)

petermeadit likes this.
  3. petermeadit

petermeadit Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Ha ha. Who knew... Search Volume?

4. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

Comes back to the same issue, if you have a portfolio of names like this what is chance of making a profit? I don't know how many domains the seller was holding but I think it would take hundreds of names like this to generate a sale each year.

The fact that westpac bought probably just highlights that fact that even if a massive company knocks on your door it still may not be a particularly high sale. The seller can cover 150 renewals with the money.

Bit like entering a lottery where the top prize is $10,000. You'd hope the tickets are cheap!

Ash and petermeadit like this.