What's new

Weird Domain That's Been Parked

Chris.C

Top Contributor
OK so I have recently parked a large chunk of my portfolio and as I highlighted in another thread, I noticed that I was getting quite high impressions without a reasonable CTR which lead me to believe something weird was goign on.

I have no found the "weird" domain - onlinebusiness.net.au

It seems that it had previously been developed and it does hae some back links to it, but the traffic must not be human traffic because it seems to get 1000+ impressions a day and virtually no clicks.

:confused:

Can anyone offer some insights?

And what should I do? Remove this domain from parking?

Mike Robertson

Top Contributor
I'm guessing Google parking don't give detailed Referrer reports like other parking companies do. Do they at least report what country the traffic originates from? If so, that may give you some idea, as most companies won't accept traffic from certain regions.

Also do they report both Impressions and Uniques, two very different metrics. Impressions typically signifies ANY activity a domain receives, including spider/bot traffic. Uniques is a more accurate account of real/human visitors.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Thanks for the feedback guys.

who ever owned the domain in the past seems to have done alot of article syndication, example: http://ezinearticles.com/?Use-A-Web-2.0-Blog-As-A-Marketing-Avenue&id=1183850

I think the people who are coming in via these sites are people in the marketing field looking for further articles as the domain screams adsense these guys are a very low CTR niche.
My instincts say it's not people visiting the site given that it gets thousands of "impressions" but no clicks.

My thinking is that on a paged page a CTR <1% "might" still be humans (in the online marketing niche). A CTR <0.1% is probably not human.

I'm guessing Google parking don't give detailed Referrer reports like other parking companies do. Do they at least report what country the traffic originates from?
No it doesn't offer a referrer report that I can see.

However it does give geographic data - over the last week Australian traffic has a CTR of over 10%, while the US traffic has 6000+ impression but zero clicks...

Also do they report both Impressions and Uniques, two very different metrics. Impressions typically signifies ANY activity a domain receives, including spider/bot traffic. Uniques is a more accurate account of real/human visitors.
It doesn't appear that Google gives much information in regards to visitors vs impressions.

Mike Robertson

Top Contributor
It doesn't appear that Google gives much information in regards to visitors vs impressions.

Might be best to put it on another platform that provides comprehensive stats/analytics for a week or so to get a better insight as to the makeup of the traffic.

DavidL

Top Contributor
Or change it to just a search box so if it is human traffic (which seems unlikely in this case) you can see what they are looking for

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member