1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Website Question

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by DnEbook, Aug 14, 2015.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

At the meetup group on wednesday I was chatting to Chris from admin and we did a test on the frontpage on my site Rat Rod Videos and we discovered that the loading time was nearly twenty seconds so I reduced the number of posts and inserted a "read more" button into the posts
    ~
    The load time in now just over five seconds and here's the dilemma, by adding the read more button, the video which is normally under the article is now gone and to see it you have to go off the front page.......click the link (people are lazy)
    ~
    I am considering placing the videos before the articles and then adding a "read more" button, although I am wondering if this will mess up with the hierarchy of the tags for seo ?
    ~
    Now the site is a .Tv and the purpose is to show videos and information so to have videos and the option to read more is not such a big deal, but does the iframe of the videos take longer when loading ??
    ~
    So what I have done is to make three different post styles, one with a H2 tag and the video, the next is just the video, then the last is with the article and the "read more" that takes you to the video
    ~
    I would appreciate some feedback on the three options, will having the video up top effect the seo and posts ?/
    ~
    Many thanks

2. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi @spacey,

I would look at whatever is going to help your users, so look at bounce rate and time on site in Google Analytics. See if the changes make any difference and go with whatever has the best results.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

If this is a concern then you a screen cap of the video with a play button. When the user clicks it, the new page will open and the video will be above the fold and set to autoplay.

atom and chris like this.
  4. DnEbook

The question was basically about inserting an iframe into the page/post hierarchy and seo purposes

H1 Post Heading ..........current format for posts
    H2 Sub Heading
    P Paragraph of text
    H3 Another Heading
    P Paragraph of text
    Iframe
    ~
    H1 Post Heading
    H2 Sub Heading
    Iframe
    P Paragraph of text
    H3 Another Heading
    P Paragraph of text
    ~
    H1 Post Heading
    iframe
    Continue Reading Button

H2 Sub Heading
    P Paragraph of text
    H3 Another Heading
    P Paragraph of text
    ~
    I might as well just insert a continue reading button and keep the posts short if i am having the video views taken off the front page, above is just an example of some options
    ~
    The question is about loading time and seo ........ on page and off page video viewing is secondary at this point, thanks
    ~
    The posts have been returned to original format for the moment, i do expect to see Chris at the wordpress meetup tonight so i will chat with him then, cheers

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

I wouldn't worry about it

6. DnEbook

Chris has said the iframe does not cause a problem when I spoke with him last night, so I may just do an iframe video and then the continue reading button, will be interesting to see the load time difference, thanks all

7. rensit

rensit Membership: Community

Just focus on the customer experience. Whatever works better.

findtim likes this.
  8. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    don't forget to test on all main browsers
    tim

DnEbook likes this.
  9. DnEbook

Faster loading was for the user experience and it does so all is good for now thanks