What's new

Webmaster Tools

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i was looking at my webmaster tools for website of mine and checked the geo location target (united states) I actually thought i had it set to something else but after searching the options of all countries i noticed there is an option at the very end to choose 'unlisted'

My question is does this mean global is the setting when you use this option ?

Interested to know

Thanks in advance

petermeadit

Top Contributor
... i noticed there is an option at the very end to choose 'unlisted'

My question is does this mean global is the setting when you use this option ?

Use this feature with generic top-level domains, such as .com or .org. if you don't want it associated with a country or region

.au is already associated with a geographic region, so 'unlisted' won't work in this case.

HTH

Honan

Top Contributor
Use this feature with generic top-level domains, such as .com or .org. if you don't want it associated with a country or region

.au is already associated with a geographic region, so 'unlisted' won't work in this case.

HTH
Thank you Peter
Do you mean a ccTLD like .tv site might already be associated with a certain country or region and this is a way of associating it to all countries?
Would content of a gTLD site have created an association and this is a way of changing that?

petermeadit

Top Contributor
To my knowledge, it is for sites with a generic top-level domain, such as .com or .org.

As far as I know certain ccTLDs allow the geographic target to be changed, like .co TLD. You can change it to unlisted.

Also, gTLDs are the only ones that Webmaster tools will automatically apply the geographic target.

petermeadit

Top Contributor
it is a confusing topic, since .eu and .asia are gTLDs and the do have a geographic target...

Anyone else?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Thank you Peter
Do you mean a ccTLD like .tv site might already be associated with a certain country or region and this is a way of associating it to all countries?
Would content of a gTLD site have created an association and this is a way of changing that?

The option is there for .tv and .me many folk are aware that google treats these cctlds as generic .......choose the country is an option under the settings

The main question was if left to unlisted does that make it global ??

Thanks for replies thus far

petermeadit

Top Contributor
The main question was if left to unlisted does that make it global ??

If left unactivated, Google will automatically do the goetargeting, using it's own rules. But activating and selecting unlisted will make it not associated with any geotarget.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo