What's new

wasted space

findtim

Top Contributor
I did a new website install of WP and along with now comes versions twenty ten, 11, 12 , 13, 14

what a waste of space, I've previously deleted theme but when you do a wordpress update they come back !

I can't an answer that tells me how to remove them forever

tim

nt81

Top Contributor
Yes, stupid that you can't delete themes now. What potato came up with that idea?

To manually remove them. FTP in and delete the themes from the wp-content/themes folder

findtim

Top Contributor
Yes, stupid that you can't delete themes now. What potato came up with that idea?

To manually remove them. FTP in and delete the themes from the wp-content/themes folder

the wp-admin delete is fine, ftp is to slow, far quicker via cpanel but its just a pain in the bum.

tim

johno69

Top Contributor
When I delete them from wp admin they stay deleted. Not sure what you are doing different.

nt81

Top Contributor
It may be the "auto upgrade" option causing it to rewrite the old files. But who knows that Wordpress is doing.

johno69

Top Contributor
It may be the "auto upgrade" option causing it to rewrite the old files.

Nah I just checked a site that has only one theme and not a default theme. It was auto updated last night, still only the one theme there.

I've never had an issue once I delete a theme, it's always just gone.

In the wp-admin try hovering pointer over theme you want deleted, click on theme details and then you have option to delete bottom right, i think i am getting them back with upgrades too but unsure...will keep an eye on it

findtim

Top Contributor
i've spent the weekend updating websites and paid attention !

when i upgrade to wp4.0 i get all the default themes put back into the domain.

i've done it 5 times today and can't seem to work out how to block them?

tim

I just upgraded then
i am using genesis with studio press themes
my hosting provider is ventraip and dreamhost
didnt get any themes with upgrade of wp 4.0 for either hosting provider.
I can only think it would be if you dont have a premium theme you get the themes when upgrading wp such as twenty forteen.

how did you delete the themes if ftp maybe you should try wp-admin

In the wp-admin-appearance-themes try hovering pointer over theme you want deleted, click on theme details and then you have option to delete bottom right

worked for me but only using the studiopress themes and deleted the rest.
Before i deleted the rest i think i would get extra themes as i had heaps to delete when this thread began, but cant be sure of that but it does seem to be the logical case.

it seems i may have spoke too soon

i received an email saying as requested my wp has been upgraded and i need to click on a link to update db
i checked and there are extra themes for the ones i received emails for, guess tomorrow i will have more to deal with
for site i havent received emails for

has only occurred with dreamhost sites

will keep an eye on it over next couple of days and report back

it would seem it is set by your hosting provider

upgraded mine and when i receive an email saying its upgraded the extra themes appear (2012 ,2013,2014)
but
only on dreamhost hosted sites(in my case)
ventraip hosted sites dont seem to add any themes (maybe for initial install they do from memory)

will keep an eye on them and keep you posted but it would seem the case

yeah definitely to do with hosting provider..
dreamhost when i updated wp in wp-admin there were no extra themes before and after, then between an hour to a week later i receive an email saying its been upgraded, then the themes are there...

with ventraip still dont see any extra themes

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members