What's new

Verifying domain eligibility

Nova

Top Contributor
I just came across a listing for the domain amywinehouserip.com.au - it's obviously not 6 months old, yet it's up for sale on NetFleet.

Putting my opinion on the actual domain itself aside, is it possible for NetFleet to somehow prevent these domains (ie. <6 months old) from being listed?

Chris.C

Top Contributor
It seems these incidence are happening all too often, we should have a name and shame section of DN Trade.

johno69

Top Contributor
It seems these incidence are happening all too often, we should have a name and shame section of DN Trade.

Some people are not up to speed with the rules.

Naming them can damage their business for too long.

I too was unaware of the re sale rules about 10 years ago and listed one for sale not long after registering, to be sent a nice email from a wanting buyer that they would give me $5k or dob me in. I removed it for sale and kept it.

Some people are just not aware of rules, even though they tick the "I agree to these rules" box during rego.

Chris.C

Top Contributor
As in any court of law ignorance is not a defence.

I'm not saying people's names should be tarnished forever, but if there is a section where we can post domains that are dodgey, have a laugh, then maybe email them privately about their predicament maybe they'll take action, fix what needs fixing and become a member of DNTrade to have a chuckle at the new entrants in the market that do that same as they did.

Domainers do have a bad rep - yesterday on a call with a client who was in the process of acquiring a domain referred to the guy as a "professional parasite" when I let him know of the portfolio the guy owned. I felt like going, "wait up dude, no need for name calling, this guy is legit - he was just WAY ahead of the curve when he acquired these names."

Of course I didn't do that, but it would still be nice to clean up the industry a little bit.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Anthony mentioned that ownership verification is on the cards during his intro post, so maybe this is something that will be looked at aswell.

No doubt the batphone is ringing again..

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
This was on the cards to do soon but since the frequency of these is starting to increase I think I'll up the priority and get this done this week to protect the citizens of gotham from the dreaded 6 month rule.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
This was on the cards to do soon but since the frequency of these is starting to increase I think I'll up the priority and get this done this week to protect the citizens of gotham from the dreaded 6 month rule.

Since full blown ownership verification is going to take a bit of time to complete, I have added a simple but powerful message for users when adding domains.

Or see it in action here http://www.netfleet.com.au/sell-domains

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 11.15.49 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 11.15.49 AM.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 30

neddy

Top Contributor
Some people are not up to speed with the rules.

Naming them can damage their business for too long.

I totally agree in regards to newbies and other innocent people. (How do we assist them without being seen as a/holes?).

However there are some "serial offenders" that really do make it difficult for the rest of us. What should we do about these people?

Having sat on an auDA panel recently, I know that it is more difficult to get rules relaxed when there are people still doing the wrong thing.

The 6 month rule is one thing (and that will hopefully be changed very soon), but flagrant registration of other people's names or businesses is very wrong.

neddy

Top Contributor
Since full blown ownership verification is going to take a bit of time to complete, I have added a simple but powerful message for users when adding domains.

That's a good start Anthony. Might just need to change "that" to "than", and "month" to "month's". :)

I would also be more inclined to put:

Do not list newly registered domains less than 6 month's old. Why?
This is because it may confuse some people who bought a domain on the secondary market (they are allowed to sell straight away).

Just my opinion.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
Thanks for your help guys.

Changed to "Do not list newly registered domains less than 6 months old."

I think the 's was not correct so I left it out.

payattention

Archived Member
I think this is an auDA issue, not a Netfleet one. It's not up to them to enforce or police the policy. Not a good idea to "name and shame" anyone either given I doubt their intentions are nefarious.

If you feel that strongly about it, shoot auDA an email but personally, I wouldn't bother because A) it's a crap domain and B) no-one is going to buy it; problem will resolve itself when it expires.

AnthonyP

Top Contributor
I think this is an auDA issue, not a Netfleet one. It's not up to them to enforce or police the policy. Not a good idea to "name and shame" anyone either given I doubt their intentions are nefarious.

If you feel that strongly about it, shoot auDA an email but personally, I wouldn't bother because A) it's a crap domain and B) no-one is going to buy it; problem will resolve itself when it expires.

I think it is our obligation to educate our clients where possible. To this end we provide lots of links to auDA policy and we also try to provide "just in time" information where possible. I think this is a good example of a place where a just in time warning can help educate users about the current auDA policy.

neddy

Top Contributor
I think it is our obligation to educate our clients where possible. To this end we provide lots of links to auDA policy and we also try to provide "just in time" information where possible. I think this is a good example of a place where a just in time warning can help educate users about the current auDA policy.

Good thinking!

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I think it is our obligation to educate our clients where possible.
It'd be awesome if you could extend this philosophy to not only AUDA policy education, but also to teaching potential buyers about the value of buying quality domain names for their businesses.

;)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member