1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Ventra shuts down host with no pre warning?

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by James, Sep 16, 2013.

1. James

James Membership: VIP

So I have 3 x hosting accounts with Ventra. Just some pre paid ones which were like 200ish a year.

This morning at 3am I get a message saying one of them is shut down because of "Excessive Resource Consumption"

This is funny because the sites I host with this one account are not load heavy at all. They are only Australia websites with low visitors. Anything with a few visitors I host with US companies for a bit more $$$ because they can usually deal with way more bandwidth.

The issue I have here is the following:

1. Ventra never tried to contact me before shutting down the server. If the account was at 90% load capacity surely a system email could come so I can move things.
    2. If I have 3 other hosting accounts which are already pre paid cant you transfer load, One of those hosts is not even using any bandwidth at all.
    3. For an issue like this they have say "You can not call us, please submit a e-ticket and wait 24 hours"

Sure I understand they have other users and they need to protect them, but surely some pre-warning method can be in place. I need to investigate what has happened here. Even an automated system email would be good.

Reason I am posting this here and on a few other forums is they seem to reply quicker here compared to the "e-Tickets" every time I use that I seem to get a reply "Don't know the answer I will escalated"

I have had my US hosts shut the sever down before for a huge amount of bandwidth in a small period of time but usually you can pick up the phone and get the issues sorted in minutes, why no phone number for something like this.

Overall I am loosing faith in Ventra IP.

2. angelogiuffrida

angelogiuffrida Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    If you're using excessive resources that are causing a degraded effect for other users on the server you will be suspended and a notice will be issued to you via email. I'm sure you can appreciate that if somebody on the server was causing a degraded effect for your service, you'd want the issue resolved quickly.

Due to the nature of the breach, we need to resolve it via eTicket so we can provide you the correct information and help identify the breach.

Send me the tickets and I can follow them up for you & shed more light if needed.

Cheers,

Angelo

3. James

Well I just received an reply to my "ticket" about this,

One of the main URLS they note is not even an indexed website, so it is not getting traffic from Google or Yahoo as I blocked it unless this is direct traffic :S I dont care if they wipe out the "offending sites listed" as they get me ZERO traffic.

How to I get this server back up and running, as the "Support Guy" was like we will shut every thing down. I would not like that as a few sites I want to get back live ASAP, and I don't have the data backed up any where on my own computer for this host.

I have never dealt with this with the US companies they just tell you the issue and then they get the sites back online.

eTicket VIP-P5551965 is the ticket for this.

Thanks.

4. angelogiuffrida

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I've had a look into the ticket, and can see that our support team are correct. The entire cPanel service gets suspended - it's one of the risks you inherit by using addon domains for individual websites.

Alternatively, you could look into a WHM Multi Hosting service, which would allow you to create individual cPanel services that are each isolated from each other.

That way, if one of them is in breach of our AUP (for excessive resource usage or any other reason) then that individual cPanel service is suspended, which takes only that cPanel service off the air and not all of them.

As for the ticket, all you need to do is give us warranty that you understand the suspension and will work to resolve it. Once we have that, my team will happily unsuspend the service for you so you can fix the issue.

Also, it's important to remember that 'excessive resource usage' doesn't refer to bandwidth utilisation and instead refers to CPU cycles or excessive RAM usage - which causes a degraded effect for other clients on the server which is why a 'suspend first then notify' approach is taken. If it was the other way around, and your sites were loading slowly because there was a client on the same server who was utilising too many CPU cycles and we told you 'unfortunately we haven't been able to reach the client so we can't fix it yet' I doubt you'd be too impressed.

5. James

Yeah I just don't see what the current issue was sure its probably a Ram issue.

These sites have been running on the same set up since 2011. I have never have has an issue. They have not really ever been touched or even up dated. Some of these sites are not even indexed or any thing. I just looked at the logs and they are VERY low traffic (even though you say not a bandwidth issue)

Yes I gave the tech guy the ok to delete all the sub folders he said were causing an issue, but he said he can not do it, so I tried to login to the account and it is not letting me in to delete things. Just tell me what to delete and its done.

I understand other users need up time ect ect, I am just dumbfounded how these could all of a sudden happen if things have been running the same way since 2011 nothing really has been touched. I do realise this account was recently changed from your end form one service to another ??

As I said I have a bunch of other accounts on Ventra as well.

6. angelogiuffrida

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I'm not sure why James - if you're running a CMS / Blog it's possible that it was exploited or something along those lines.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure why, but the server logs don't lie.

I'll chat with the team to see if they can provide you with more information on it.

I've left a note on the ticket as well so our team can unsuspend the service for you.

7. James

OK thanks,

I have a feeling some one ripped all these images off this congrats site and started hosting them on their own site. Or yes some one could have hacked in I am looking into it now.

But yes the sites are back on, I appreciate Ventra Ip been quick on this one. Thank you for the help.

8. James

Hi Angelo...

I have looked over the logs for this host last night, I can not pin point the problem.

From the original list of sites provided I took them all down, CPU usage is now 0%.

I asked your support guys if he can pin point the issue as you stated above, his answer was "Get a developer to look at it"