What's new

Value in .net.au Domain Names

aus11

Top Contributor
What are your thoughts on the value of .net.au domain names?

I haven't watched prices long enough to see if many are selling for decent amounts in the Aftermarket Auction, but it seems like most people try to stick to the .com.au domains.

Has anyone had success in selling .net.au domains? I've had good results in developing them for SEO purposes, but new to the whole idea of selling domain names...

johno69

Top Contributor
What are your thoughts on the value of .net.au domain names?

I don't see much value in them myself. I do have some but mainly for brand protection of projects I have going on.

I never buy any with a view to one day sell.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
There have been some significant sales for "premium" generics in the past, notably:

jobs.net.au $15,500
creditcard.net.au $15,001
insurance.net.au $7,900
OnlineGames.net.au $5,001
Restaurants.net.au $2223
HomeLoans.net.au $2,151
UsedCars.net.au $2,023

But the majority of them go for between $100-400 from what I see.

James

Top Contributor
life insurance.net.au would surely be one of the most expensive sites around with a .net.au, same with ABC .net.au

soj

Founder
There are many .net.au's that have sold for $XXXX. Not all are publicised.

To me, if the .com.au is horrendously priced - or is owned by someone who is unlikely to ever let it go - then buying a .net.au at a fraction of the price makes a lot of sense.

There are some members on here who have got their .net.au's to rank well.

aus11

Top Contributor
So it seems like if you get the right one there can still be some value just in the domain.

Anyone sold one before?

Oz.

Top Contributor
There have been some significant sales for "premium" generics in the past, notably:

jobs.net.au $15,500
creditcard.net.au $15,001
insurance.net.au $7,900
OnlineGames.net.au $5,001
Restaurants.net.au $2223
HomeLoans.net.au $2,151
UsedCars.net.au $2,023

But the majority of them go for between $100-400 from what I see.

Hmmm, a few of those ring a bell.. :)

To me, if the .com.au is horrendously priced - or is owned by someone who is unlikely to ever let it go - then buying a .net.au at a fraction of the price makes a lot of sense.
Couldn't agree more!

geodomains

Top Contributor
The reason net.au is undervalued is we have been spoilt with .com.au domains, it's only been recently that they are starting to go up in price.

I purchased these recently
carinsurancequotes.net.au $9000 approx (I own the com.au as well)
cheaptravelinsurance.net.au $1600 approx
paydayloans.net.au swapped for another domain I owned

Beachfront land has gone and the only option is what's left.

I also own half on www.lifeinsurance.net.au which ranks #1 for that term, so rest my case

Don

aus11

Top Contributor
The reason net.au is undervalued is we have been spoilt with .com.au domains, it's only been recently that they are starting to go up in price.

That is a really good point. The majority of my AU domain names have been .net.au because the .com.au version was already taken.

I think we will start to see them become more popular as all the .com.au domains disappear.

Shane

Top Contributor
They can be great for websites relying on search traffic or links, but right now I probably wouldn't use one where I was going to build a big brand and rely on other forms of advertising or word of mouth.

I think this will change however, as more and more businesses start using the net.au version and Australians get better at discerning between the two.

I don't have too many of them, but my best is probably SMSF.net.au which ranks pretty well for the relevant term.

:)

sydneyduo

Has there been any case study on how a .com.au vs .net.au will rank, all things being equal?

Like a few here, I've not really placed much value in .net.au domains, unless its an exact match and I am using Adwords to get traffic

Thanks

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member