What's new

utube.com.au

DavidL

Top Contributor
823,000 local exacts!!

Have a look at http://www.utube.com. Looks like the company that owns the domain sells pipes - http://www.utubeonline.com but I'm guessing when youtube.com started up they got swamped with traffic and so have TM'ed 'utube' and changed their homepage to fill it with videos.

The other interesting metric today is 22,000 exacts for 'sex toys' with CPC of $7. Remember when sextoys.com.au broke the record a couple of years ago and sold for $25,000? At the time seemed like big money but now it looks like an absolute steal (IMHO)

snoopy

Top Contributor
No the shocking bit is nobody has bid on it yet.

Don't worry, the drop houses know the bidders will come, it is easy sucker time once again, a few thousand of easy money! The great utube.com.au cash cow, it never stops producing!

Get ready for the quotes,

"We didn't know it has issues, how could we screen all those names"
"We aren't responsible, we are just the people selling it"
"There is no black and white, utube.com.au isn't black, it isn't white, we'd need to spend thousands lawyers if we wanted to remove this"
"We thought all the bidders were companies called utube"
"You could legitimately own this & prevent it from being deleted if your first name was U and your surname was Tube."
"If we screen this where does it end, tomorrow we'll have to screen loans.com.au"
"It would be a slippery slope to take this out, the less slippery slope, in fact the ideal slope, would be to sell it to some sap who we know lose it in a couple of months".

Last edited:

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Do people never do any research about these kind of domains? Surely if you were willing to throw thousands of dollars at these kind of domains you might know a bit about the market and the rules!

DavidL

Top Contributor
Don't worry, the drop houses know the bidders will come, it is easy sucker time once again, a few thousand of easy money! The great utube.com.au cash cow, it never stops producing!

"There is no black and white, utube.com.au isn't black, it isn't white, we'd need to spend thousands lawyers if we wanted to remove this"
"You could legitimately own this & prevent it from being deleted if your first name was U and your surname was Tube."
"If we screen this where does it end, tomorrow we'll have to screen loans.com.au"
"It would be a slippery slope to take this out, the less slippery slope, in fact the ideal slope, would be to sell it to some sap who we know lose it in a couple of months".

Just quoting your post in case you try to edit it (again) or delete it.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Do people never do any research about these kind of domains? Surely if you were willing to throw thousands of dollars at these kind of domains you might know a bit about the market and the rules!

There is an endless line of people who don't have the knowledge, doesn't mean they should be lined up, marketed to via drop lists, and sold something the drop houses know will be deleted. It is the first name on netfleet list today. Ditto for March, February, and also May last year.

DavidL

Top Contributor

Thankfully it's not normally thousands of dollars. Last time I think it went for $11, less $10 first bidder discount = $1 plus Reg Fee. So i wouldn't worry too much.

Mark

Top Contributor

$10 once a month ≠ cash cow.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Thankfully it's not normally thousands of dollars. Last time I think it went for $11, less $10 first bidder discount = $1 plus Reg Fee. So i wouldn't worry too much.

What does "not normally" mean? What were the prior sales, because I do do not remember a bunch of $10 sales in the past.

Obviously people are catching on but I highly doubt the Netfleet is "thankful" it went so low. If there was anything genuine about not want to make money off this and the recurring deletion that Netfleet knows is coming it wouldn't be up for auction and advertised in your lists.

snoopy

Top Contributor
Out of interest it looks like Drop has been taking this out of their emailed lists since the first auction so at least they are half way there.

DavidL

Top Contributor
What does "not normally" mean? What were the prior sales, because I do do not remember a bunch of $10 sales in the past.

I can't remember precisely but I think when this domain has popped up periodically, it's high bid has been $10 or $11. One or two bidders at most but I could be wrong.

Obviously people are catching on but I highly doubt the Netfleet is "thankful" it went so low. If there was anything genuine about not want to make money off this and the recurring deletion that Netfleet knows is coming it wouldn't be up for auction and advertised in your lists.

Yeah I quite agree - Netfleet and Drop are probably pounding their fists against the wall that it doesn't go higher. I think it's entirely unethical tbh and... you know the worst part - auDA and Ausregistry are in on it too. Yeah, that's right. They make more than any of the drop catchers each time it comes through and could easily prevent registration at source. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!!!

Mark

Top Contributor
As per old thread:

http://www.dntrade.com.au/drops-today-mar-2012-t4767p3.html

If we blocked the registration of this name, registrants will just wonder off to the next registrar or reseller to make the same mistake again and again. This list belongs to auDA and they need to implement the technology to block these types of registrations at the Registry. That way ALL the registrars and ALL the resellers and ALL the registrants are stopped from making this mistake by one piece of technology.

I happen to believe that there are reasons why this name should not be on the misspelling list like plumbers selling u tubes but my fundamental frustration as a developer of registrar systems is that this list is not enforced by the Registry or even provided by the registry via the EPP interface.

We will put a little MS symbol though next to misspellings though to further educate users if a PD symbol is not deterrent enough (we used to have this, but seem to have lost it during various updates)

snoopy

Top Contributor
Yeah I quite agree - Netfleet and Drop are probably pounding their fists against the wall that it doesn't go higher. I think it's entirely unethical tbh and... you know the worst part - auDA and Ausregistry are in on it too. Yeah, that's right. They make more than any of the drop catchers each time it comes through and could easily prevent registration at source. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!!!

It is the drop house who has made the most from it, only sale price I can find is May 2011

https://www.netfleet.com.au/Utube.com.au

Domain Name Sale Date Price
utube.com.au Tue May 17 2011 $201

Still interested in hearing what it sold for the other times.

Mark

Top Contributor
$10 (effectively $0), $10 (effectively $0), and $11 ($11).

So when I said "$10 once a month", I was wrong, that is way overpriced!

neddy

Top Contributor
$10 once a month ≠ cash cow.

It did get snapped at one point for $201. See below. ;)

I don't blame Netfleet or Drop - NF has addressed their reasoning previously. I think this is an issue auDA needs to deal with, as I believe
they are automatically deleting this name each time - in other words it is not complaints driven.

A more prominent symbol on the name (as foreshadowed previously) would be good though.

Imho.

Attachments

• Snapper utube.jpg
    Snapper utube.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 15

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online