What's new

Useless Dead Websites - Dump Them?

Snooks

Top Contributor
Wel its a fact of life that eventually you learn that what you thought had potential, what you thought was a great domain name......well, they are in fact crap:(

So i guess im learning:)

So....I have 10-12 "projects" that i now realise are not worth pursuing, but im finding it hard to just dump them. Some had money spent on logos, minor funds on gaphics etc and its not worth putting them on DP Forum just to get $20 back. You need to realise, these were going to make me lots of money (lol)

What do you guys do? Youve taught me (though im still learning) what to look for in domains etc, but now i need to know how to accept a loss and save on hosting fees and domain names.

When do you know "enough is enough" and what do you do?

findtim

Top Contributor
ones mans rubbish is another mans gold ! so put them up on dnt and get some money.

you asked "what do we do" , my portfolio is 95% HIGHLY focused in areas i think i am good at, this way i can remain focused.

I also create websites with the view to duplicate them over and over again thus reducing dev costs, spend some money on the first one then pump them out. eg: geo based "sydneythis" "brisbanethat"

if i spend 3K on the first but then have another 9 similar then the cost of each is $300, if you can't make $300 p/a on a domain then don't buy it.

at 3pm each day i look at drops and if i don't have a business plan by 12.30 the next day then i do not bid.

my advice is to trim up your folio and get some focus, put them on dnt and you could get some money that will help you realign yourself, then be selective in the future.

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
List them for auction, whatever doesn't sell allow to drop. By the sounds of it though they aren't going to realise much (if anything) so I wouldn't spend much time on the listings.

Personally I just let stuff drop if I think it is likely to be unsellable. If it is going to sell at say $50 at best then the value of the time involved in selling it is greater than that.

DavidL

Top Contributor
If they are actually developed websites, even if they are a bit unloved and neglected, its probably worth hanging on to them and pop a couple of links to your money sites.

Hosting costs for little sites like these is negligible and even a link from a pr0 website has got to be worth $xx per year.

You could even go the next step and see if you could sell a couple of links...

Snooks

Top Contributor
Hosting costs for little sites like these is negligible and even a link from a pr0 website has got to be worth $xx per year.

I always thought a link only helps if its from related niche. Interesting thought though.

I have been contacted by a DN Member via PM and we have actually agreed on a sale for a few of the sites.....hopefully the sites will be successful under his guidance. :)

neddy

Top Contributor
I have been contacted by a DN Member via PM and we have actually agreed on a sale for a few of the sites.....hopefully the sites will be successful under his guidance. :)

That's great Snooks - please keep us posted if you can.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that it is fantastic to hear and see DNT being an active conduit / marketplace for all sorts of all deals.

I'm aware of many member to member sales happening (I know I've sold plenty too!) - and other "service" type transactions.

Plus then there's all the varied advice, suggestions and critiques that get offered.

That's what a community is for. :)

James

Top Contributor
I think in the end of the day you need to work out what is profitable and what is not profitable. The best thing about the domain/ websites business is the barrier to entry is low and the costs are lower until you want to push things to the next level.

Something I was working on is to make an excel sheet with all the domains I own/ 95% are websites now so then I work out what is profitable on a 2 year basis and the cost involved, you can pull the information very quickly.

I admit I have picked up some junk domains over the last 7-8 years and have dropped a few, but as said if the domain makes $40 in 1 year and it costs $10 to renew then its worth it.

findtim

Top Contributor
I think in the end of the day you need to work out what is profitable and what is not profitable. The best thing about the domain/ websites business is the barrier to entry is low and the costs are lower until you want to push things to the next level.

Something I was working on is to make an excel sheet with all the domains I own/ 95% are websites now so then I work out what is profitable on a 2 year basis and the cost involved, you can pull the information very quickly.

I admit I have picked up some junk domains over the last 7-8 years and have dropped a few, but as said if the domain makes $40 in 1 year and it costs $10 to renew then its worth it.

YEP, thats what i work on, otherwise "ownership" will eat you into a grave.

as my dad says " if you are making JUST $1 on any deal then you can do a million, if you are loosing JUST $1 then you are heading for bankruptcy

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member