What's new

Uploading Wordpress FIles

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have moved to a new hosting plan and want to upload a few of the old sites to the new hosting, i did this yesterday and it all went fine when i used the wordpress/tools/import with the bottom option being to import wordpress files that i had exported from the chosen site. Simple to use, just choose the file and go from there, however the is a 2mb limit and that's where the snag is. As mentioned i used this tool yesterday on a smaller file it worked fine but i am stuck on moving anything above that limit, so i need to change the limit size. I have had a hunt in the editor section but cannot see anything that may be where i need to make the change?
~
I did ask a similar question a year or so ago and i think it was johno69 who answered by saying just increase the file size. Question is where do i go to make the change from 2mb to greater size
~
Thanks

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Where do i find these files, having a look on my cpanel ?

php.ini or .htaccess
~
i did find a reference to php configuration but there is a heading

'These PHP configuration settings are customizable by the server administrator. They are listed for reference only'

Joel

Top Contributor
Your .htaccess file goes in the public_html directory.

If it doesn't exist, just create one. You can do it with the cpanel file manager.

nt81

Top Contributor
Probably also worth noting that some hosting configurations (Cloudlinux) and different versions of PHP (especially 5.6) won't allow you to specify max memory allocation ;)

echo phpinfo();

is your friend on that one.

helloworld

Top Contributor
Where do i find these files, having a look on my cpanel ?

php.ini or .htaccess
~
i did find a reference to php configuration but there is a heading

'These PHP configuration settings are customizable by the server administrator. They are listed for reference only'

Cpanel > File Manager > tick Show hidden files > www

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Thanks for replies, i have not done anything like this before so i may get lost but it's something to work on, many thanks all !

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Hey gang i have just got back to this, i did send ventrip a support ticket explaining i need to upload two wordpress larger than the allowed size. I have been avoiding this as i still basically have no idea how to go about all the advice offered above.
~
Am i correct in saying these changes have to be made at the new hosting cpanel before i delete the site from the old hosting (which is soon to be expiring) Is it as simple as going to Php Myadmin and doing the changes there? I will leave it at that for now and then hopefully get some advice to get me to the correct place.
~
Helloworld has offered …. Cpanel > File Manager > tick Show hidden files > www
~
.htaccess has the following when i go there via public http files
<Files 403.shtml>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Files>

deny from 91.242.53.220
deny from 67.192.46.7

The above are just two sites that have tried to hack into my wordpress sites so i banned them but surely i would not add a file here ??
~
the thing is there are four options, home directory, webroot, public root and ftp
~
Now i do think it's for the public files but i am not sure and cannot find anything that looks like what i need??
~
hopefully i will get a response from ventra that makes sense to me. I do understand that alot of this stuff is file management but it's just something i have not tackled before and basically have no fricking idea about.

johno69

Top Contributor
I do understand that alot of this stuff is file management but it's just something i have not tackled before and basically have no fricking idea about.

Pay someone. It's a 20 minute job to move your websites for you.

Save your 15 hours of learning, use your time for the better good.

findtim

Top Contributor
Pay someone. It's a 20 minute job to move your websites for you.

Save your 15 hours of learning, use your time for the better good.

spacey there comes a time when paying FAR outweighs learning , but don't stop learning what you can do is PAY and then go in and see what they did, thus your learning goes from 15 hours to 30 mins for NEXT time.

make money doing what you know to then pay people who know more then you is my moto......... mostly :D

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
The guy at ventraip did increase the file limits but it did not work, tim last week you showed me hot to do a ftp and since then i have done it fifty or so times so some things are worth learning, this particular problem is not the end of the world either way but considering i first asked a few years ago it was worth following up in my eyes ……but don't worry i am still spending time on my plans to take over the world!

xwdomains

Top Contributor
I have not used ventraip before. but if they use cpanel wouldn't it be easier to do a cpanel transfer of all sites files etc surely ventra can do this for you?

findtim

Top Contributor
check your allocated disk space for the domain, is it a new domain or an old one? if old check email taking up space, check email trash taking up space, are you trying to upload LARGE files that ma actually not be in use for the domain Eg: a PSD file of a template that was provided to you?

just a few things to check.

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Thanks tim and xw but i am not going to worry too much about this as it was just a autosite that grabbed videos from youtube, i am actually trying one last time to do a ftp at filezilla. I dont think it will work but it will put an end to it one way or another. Many thanks !

findtim

Top Contributor
when i am having problem i usually create a small file with just "jhkjjkhjkhkh" on it.

if it doesn't upload then you have setting problems

tim

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I have uploaded a number of my wordpress sites but these are too large so i think i will just ask ventraip to migrate the two sites and hopefully that does the job. Other than that all is good

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
I forgot to mention how i ended up getting around this problem, in the end i exported the different categories to my pc and then using the wordpress import plugin in the tools section i was able to upload the separate categories to the new site at different hosting and stay under the maximum upload limit .....aint life grand

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member