What's new

.uk / trademarks

findtim

Top Contributor
i didn't want to steal the other thread, based on snoopy's link to the PDF realting to who is entitled to the new .uk.

SO, looking to the future if it is 5 yrs away ??? what is going to happen now... right now?

someone has the .net.au but the .com.au (dca ) drops but when the new.au arrives the .net.au ( dna ) can get it first.

OR, if i own the dna and trademark it then even though i only registered it last year then i also can get the new .au first.

SO what happens? start buying dna's ? start tradmarking your dca's ?

or, stop buying drops if the dna is taken ? or buy the dca on drop and trademark it.

its basically a S^*Tfight and you may laugh at this post now , i just hope the UK don't do it.

tim

chris

Top Contributor
Not sure, I suppose it would need to be in the policy.

Maybe length of ownership might play a part, or maybe auction?

findtim

Top Contributor
auction would be another money grab, just think about your best sites and ask yourself do you want to go into an auction for the new one ? aahhh NO !

if you have paid GOOD money for a domain and beaten someone to it then what do you think is going to happen at the auction?

tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
i didn't want to steal the other thread, based on snoopy's link to the PDF realting to who is entitled to the new .uk.

SO, looking to the future if it is 5 yrs away ??? what is going to happen now... right now?

someone has the .net.au but the .com.au (dca ) drops but when the new.au arrives the .net.au ( dna ) can get it first.

OR, if i own the dna and trademark it then even though i only registered it last year then i also can get the new .au first.

SO what happens? start buying dna's ? start tradmarking your dca's ?

or, stop buying drops if the dna is taken ? or buy the dca on drop and trademark it.

its basically a S^*Tfight and you may laugh at this post now , i just hope the UK don't do it.

tim

The PDF is the old proposal & the new proposal seems to not have anything to do with trademarks.

Personally I wouldn't prepare based on what ifs. The current proposal is a major negative for .co.uk names that have dropped in the last few years. I don't know that it is a negative for the .com.au drop market, maybe it is a small negative.

If .au were 5 years away (huge assumption) the best course of action is probably to sell .com.au domains & do something else with the money. I'm not going to be assuming that though. I think at the moment it is just a potential future risk factor because it is something AUDA could bring out if the felt the need to raise income.

I think the .co.uk market has not fared well since all this started. Some seem happy with the new proposal I think only because it clears the air in what was a very confused market & is at least better than the last proposal. At the end of the day they've now got triple the holding costs to deal with for the same level of demand.

snoopy

Top Contributor
"5 years"

so when then? 2 yrs or never?

tim

I would guess 15 years or more. If I thought 2 years I'd be selling up ASAP. From what I have read of things the .co.uk market has had a severe contraction because of this.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member