What's new

.uk domain registration requirements

Horshack

Top Contributor
Does anyone have a solution to the requirement for a uk street address for .uk domains if you live internationally? I have a few .co.uk domains and would like to register the shorter .uk version but I've been unable to. Is there an easy solution to this problem?

findtim

Top Contributor
I have a few .co.uk domains
my answer is....... no i don't have the answer,
but if you already have the .co.uk aren't you not almost entitled to the .uk ?
or have they made it tougher?
my question is what happens with a COR, do the same rules apply? that you need a UK address ?

so potentially someone in UK could register the domain on your request and then flip it to you.
but because you own the .co.uk, surely you would be contacted if someone tried to do that

this is another aspect that moving to a .au is going to happen which needs to be considered.

tim

Horshack

Top Contributor
They want a UK street address now for the shorter .uk names. My Aussie PO Box isn't good enough anymore.

phpdev

Easy...
https://www.forward2me.com/how-it-works
Step 1 - You sign up to get a forward2me UK address
Follow the quick and simple steps to sign up with forward2me and receive your personal UK forwarding addresses. Following sign up and payment of a £2+VAT joining fee, you will receive your new address.

Done.

Horshack

Top Contributor
Easy...
https://www.forward2me.com/how-it-works
Step 1 - You sign up to get a forward2me UK address
Follow the quick and simple steps to sign up with forward2me and receive your personal UK forwarding addresses. Following sign up and payment of a £2+VAT joining fee, you will receive your new address.

Done.
Thanks for the link. I was looking a Skypax which is very similar. I believe they are validating the name against the UK Electoral roll and business records also.

elbranch

Top Contributor
Has this approach worked? Is there a risk that multiple names registered to different entities based at a single address will raise a red flag?

Horshack do you have a link to your info that domain registration addresses are being checked against electoral roll and business records? Thanks

johno69

Top Contributor
As with .nz, the .uk is reserved for those with the longer versions only for now.

What I want to know is, if I acquire a .co.uk does it then become a new registration, or does it keep the age of the previous registration?
I purchased a .co.nz as a dropping domain a while back but was unable to get the .nz as I was not eligible because it was as a new registration

Does anyone know if the same applies to .uk?

I guess it comes down to the transfer process.

Horshack

Top Contributor
That's a great question Johno and I can't see anything about this on the Nominet or dotuklaunch websites or anywhere else for that matter. You might need to send the question to Nominet.

findtim

Top Contributor
I purchased a .co.nz as a dropping domain a while back but was unable to get the .nz as I was not eligible because it was as a new registration
" that's what i have been talking about for .au " , surely this is affecting the .co.nz drop market ?
tim

snoopy

Top Contributor
Just a general comment but .uk seems to be getting no real traction, may not be worth worrying about unless the name is truly exceptional.

eBranding.com.au

Top Contributor
Just a general comment but .uk seems to be getting no real traction, may not be worth worrying about unless the name is truly exceptional.
Yep I agree with that. I've only got a few .co.uk domains and I haven't bothered with the matching .uk.

Last edited:

johno69

Top Contributor
I'm only thinking about my core business, not from a domaining point of view.
Rather me have than someone else.

johno69

Top Contributor
Official word for my question anyway..

When a .co.uk domain name that has rights to the .uk version is transferred, the rights of registration are transferred as well, providing the current registrant does not register the .uk version before the transfer.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member