1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Transferring domain name from Namecheap to VentraIP

Discussion in 'VentraIP.com.au' started by Donald, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Donald

Donald Membership: Community

Hello
    A few years ago I registered a .com.au using an ABN that is now cancelled. I currently have a new ABN.
    I would like to transfer this domain from Namecheap to VentraIP, my preferred registrar for .au domains.
    I am wondering:
    Should I attempt to change the ABN via Namecheap and then initiate a transfer to VentraIP, or should I initiate a transfer to VentraIP first and then change the ABN?
    Will this cost me anything?
    Thank you

2. Scott7

Scott7 Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hey Donald. The quickest way to get onto VentraIP re technical issues is to call them on 13 24 85. This line is open 24 hours, 7 days.

3. TrafficSauce

TrafficSauce Membership: Trader

Hi Donald,
    To change the ABN, you will need to process a COR (Change of Registrant). Most US-based registrars don't offer the ability to process a COR, since it's specific to .au.
    I'd transfer to VentraIP and then process a COR to change your ABN. The COR will cost you a small fee - VentraIP are one of the reasonably priced.

4. DomainNames

DomainNames Membership: Community

Hi Donald,

Join up with www.synergywholesale.com.au , you can do the COR via that or consider also using www.drop.com.au as an additional option for cheap fast secure COR.

Drop.com.au is part of the Trellian company with lots of added interesting features and benefits to Domain name owners.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    snoopy likes this.
  5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    a cancelled abn may cause you an issue and needs to be fixed, phone ventraip before you do anything.
    i'm pretty sure their COR will stop you if you put in a cancelled abn?
    tim

6. Scott.L

Scott.L Membership: Trader

auDA Member:
    Yes
    true; it'll get rejected.

when you call VentraIP [keep in mind], VentraIP are sure to ask you for document proof that you were the registered party of the prior business name and you are the current registered party to the new - they'll require it not because they want to be a pain in the arse but because auDA will need to see that you are legitimately transferring a domain you control.

If you stick around you'll learn about how for a long time we all want this CoR system changed - why registrants cant update their own ABN details is beyond me.

DomainNames likes this.
  7. Cal

Cal Administrator

@DomainNames your most recent post has been removed, if you wish to discuss auDA related issues please use the relevant threads. Thanks!

8. DomainNames

Yes registrants should be allowed to transfer their own COR and the COR remaining license period transferred with it. The PRP said auDA should allow this
    https://www.domainer.com.au/free-cor-from-july-1/

Donald Ventrip / Synergy and www.drop.com.au are all good choices to contact and let them know your situation.

9. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

I totally agree on this one.

I have a client who retired last year, he let his old business PTY LTD ABN expire and registered a new Sole Trader ABN before the old one was gone. He didn't bother changing his ABN on his main domain name because he didn't know about the process and secondly, he was with Crazy Domains so fuck that process of having to manually prove ID and send scanned forms right in the ear. #donotwant

He came to me to see if I could assist, and having had great experiences with Synergy Wholesale and doing CoR's in the past, I moved his domain to Synergy but as it turns out, as an Industry veteran, I was blissfully un-aware of the giant steaming turd of a process that is CoR's when an old ABN has already expired.

Firstly, everyone wants proof of the business changing hands. That's fine but this was a business transaction that this guy had with himself (It's been his business under his 100% sole ownership the whole time). No amount of paperwork he could dig up can satisfy Synergy into proceeding with the CoR (for ABN only) and he's not about to start "back-dating" legal docs because he doesn't want that kind of crap going on.

The result? Synergy say he's shit out of luck, he's gotta let his domain expire, stop using the domain and email address that he's been using since 2012 and hope to be able to re-register it when the domain is available again, maybe.

The guy just wants to simply (bahaha) update his ABN on file so that he's in-line with the registry now that he knows it's a no-no to have an expired ABN attached to his domain. The result, he will just have to see if his domain stays online and hope isn't cancelled by the registry before he's finished with the business in 3-4 years time.

What a load of BS.

10. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i've had almost similar examples ( not mentioning companies) , these stories are what the PRP need to see. a friend was telling me last night the HASSLESSSSSSS she is having removing her ex husbands name from anything to do with her after a divorce ! most times they say they need his permission ! like thats gonna happen! she doesn't even want him to know where she now lives.

so we are not alone in out of date policies unfortunately.

like family law we also have many /MOST people not know the system or rules.

once, to solve an issue for a client i was asked to FAX ! a letter on "letterhead" ! HA , who the hell has letterhead these days?? real estate agents maybe, i simple replied " i'll just whip one up in photoshop now.... what logo would you like at the top ? a crest or an eagle? "

we can't blame the registrars, their hands a tied.

i have made suggestion to the board that there needs to be an amnesty time period on policy changes ( remember no prp policy has come before the board) , this would allow people to go through and check what they have and fix it easier. how that works is yet to be discussed.

tim

11. nt81

nt81 Membership: Community

We're heading for 2020. This shit needs to be sorted the fuck out.

DomainNames, Scott.L and Bacon Farmer like this.
  12. Mick

Mick Membership: Community

If you let me know the ticket id I'd like to have a look at this for you. Usually we can do a COR where the director is the same, which would be the case here since it's his name as a sole trader even with the current ACN being cancelled.

Scott7, eBranding.com.au and Scott.L like this.
  13. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

I just recently consolidated most of my domains from around the place to VentraIP (renewal fees being the reason why).
    It was pretty painless, and free. Not sure about your particular situation though.

14. Glady

Glady Membership: Community

I thought Cor's were supposed to free from the first of July, has this happened.

15. Blue Wren

All my transfers were free; and this was before July.

16. DomainNames

Your Change Of Registrant ( COR) was free?

17. Blue Wren

Yes