1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

"Trade Me" IPO

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by neddy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
  2. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Membership: VIP

Fairfax overpaid in 2006 and now wants to seek cash from this market?

Good luck to them! :rolleyes:

3. Shane

Shane Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Overpaid? Many would argue it was one of their best acquisitions in recent times.

4. Lorenzo

:rolleyes: OK.

5. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Okay big shot, why don't you give me your analysis then? You seem to be indicating the deal was less than successful.

6. Lorenzo

I will wait to see the financials before to make any other comment which so far is purely based on my feeling.

7. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    That's the whole Fairfax group though, not Trade Me. Trade Me is one of the most profitable parts of Fairfax, and enjoyed a 10% increase in profits for the year.

The IPO is going to value Trade Me at a figure considerably higher than Fairfax originally paid, and they're keeping around 70% of Trade Me so they still get to enjoy strong profits while freeing up capital to pay down debt.

8. Lorenzo

It doesn't matter, if you search my old posts some months ago when RenRen (http://www.google.com/finance?q=renn), the Chinese Facebook, debuted on the market and on the first day went higher (up to $24) than the IPO price I warned that it was insane and it was just another bubble 'bubbling'.

Now it's just above $7

Same for LinkedIn.

A P/E ratio of 1000 ? :rolleyes:

In Italy there are currently solid blue chip companies delivering a dividend of 8% and with a P/E ratio under 10. That's value.

Then of course if there are fools buying some kind of shares with no intrinsic value and FairFax makes money out of it, good for them. It won't be me buying though.

But as I said, I need to see TradeMe's financials. If they come up with numbers that I hardly expect then it will be another thing.

In other words, would you pay 1000 times (that's 1000 years) the earnings for a domain?

Example: a domain earns $10/year , would you pay $10,000 for it? Please tell me this so I can sell you lots of domains at a special discounted rate of 50% off.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  9. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    WTF? Your entire post irrelevant and you're making yourself look stupid.

Trade Me's EBITA for the FY just past was $79m.

From what I've read Fairfax are looking to sell down 30-35% of their holding, and it is expected a raise around $300m cash for them. Based on those figures we can see a valuation of around $1 billion on Trade Me.

So you're looking at an earnings multiple of around 13x, which is so far removed from your 1,000x comparison that it's... well it's just stupid.

Seriously, you need to run some numbers before you embarrass yourself any further.

10. Lorenzo

You know what? I thought there was some kind of manners in this forum. Now I know I was wrong.

Instead of insulting you could have simply pointed me to this $79m that you mention.

11. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
    If you made a statement to someone in public, and they replied with the single word "okay" whilst rolling their eyes, do you think that would be good manners?

That's what you did to me, without even knowing the facts. So yeah, maybe I didn't display the greatest of manners, but I was simply finishing what you started.

12. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Updated news: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10755653

For a small country like NZ, this is simply amazing imho:

13. Shane

auDA Member:
    Yes
  14. neddy

auDA Member:
    Yes