1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Tracking Domains

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by borna, Dec 9, 2014.

1. borna

borna Membership: Community

Hi everyone,

Curious to know how everybody tracks their domains that are for sale or on auction i.e. date listed, buy now price, starting price, places they're listed etc...

Also would be interesting to see what other metrics people record, if anything.

Thanks in advance :)

2. eBranding.com.au

eBranding.com.au Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I use this software for my portfolio:

https://watchmy.domains/winbiz/

Well worth the purchase price, particularly if you have a large number of domains.

I also still use Excel for some tasks.

Rhythm likes this.
  3. borna

borna Membership: Community

Thanks mate, i'll look into it some more.

Thought about excel but was hoping there was something smarter to use.

4. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    petermeadit likes this.
  5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i have mine as a ME being a CLIENT in quickbooks, then i have my clients names in quickbooks.
    added to that i get notifications from the registrar
    i don't often sell domains but i am sure there are notes sections in quickbooks to add that information , as really there are not much information needed, bought for this, sold for that ! years held !
    i'd probably just go for MS excel or google docs whilst starting out.

its more about getting your numbers RIGHT, a combination of posts i have read seem to point to this IMO, the cost is not the cost, you have to add the time, the effort, the holding, the transfering and all these things add up.

so a program that you can enter the purchase price and then calculates the HOLDING costs and ticks up like a networked poker machine game is a good thing, you start to realise " hey shit, i have to now sell this thing for $4k or i have effectively lost money" and NOT " hey i sold this for $3k yipee" no dude, you just lost $1k

just my opinion
    tim

6. chris

chris Administrator

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Good point Tim.

Many of these tools allow for custom fields, so you can track your financials too.