What's new

title tags

findtim

Top Contributor
WELL, i thought i'd do an experiment but went a little overboard so now i'm going to have to spend time fixing it.

i refitted 40 sites and thought " ohh i'll come back later and sort out the title tag...."

well, google has dropped the sites like a hot sausage on a cold day, they have almost disapeared !

i KNOW this is the issue because its the only thing that has really changed and the sites that i haven't refitted yet have held their ground.

So this leads to an interesting stage 2, i'll go put the old title tag back in and see if they jump back into position?

so thats 40 top 3 ranking sites that just disappeared !!!, thankfully they are mine but geez i'd be even more spewing if it was clients.

ALSO, today i was discussing a website with another dnt member and i said " ohh , have a look at this site...." but for the life of me it didn't show up on google and its ALWAYS been top3, i tried sooooo many search terms but still no website so i had to try to remember the name as its not a good domain name, so i had to actually type the URL in to finally get to the domain ! only to see it had been refitted, now this has lost ALLLL its rankings and this is a directory that people are paying to be on.... i'd hate to be that designer who just dropped 100 businesses on a directory to the 15th page of google !!

so now i'm up for a few hours of fixing so the message is test, change, wait, then slowly change some more.

it was a good lesson just hope they all come back, lets see how long it takes for them to come back!

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
Interesting Tim.

Could you give us the old title tag and new title tag on one of your sites so we can see what Google pinged you on please?

Example:

Old Title Tag
Delicious Green Apples | Ganny Smith Apple | XYZGreenApples.com.au

New Title Tag <-- (the one that Google pinged you for)
xxxxxxx | xxxxxxxx | XYZGreenApples.com.au

Thank you.

findtim

Top Contributor
"Refitted"? - Please explain?

i have a wp setup which i call my "google bait" , google generally picks up my sites in 4 hours - 2 days, i then go back and add affiliate links and adsense but this time i didn't do the title tags and google got to them first and trashed them

refit, means the "google bait" looks like sh^t but works, i then make it look more like a website once it ranks thus a "refit"

normally after a refit the site "sticks" to its ranking or improves.

bait: http://www.rockhamptonoptometrist.com.au/

site: http://www.bendigooptometrist.com.au/

tim

findtim

Top Contributor
blue wren you will die on this one !

bendigos title tag was JUST "bendigo optometrist, optometrist bendigo"

and the new one is "optometrist"

and thus i got dumped !

a simple but time consuming fix i hope

tim

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
blue wren you will die on this one !

bendigos title tag was JUST "bendigo optometrist, optometrist bendigo"

and the new one is "optometrist"

and thus i got dumped !

a simple but time consuming fix i hope

tim

Excellent; thanks Tim. :)

Google likes targeted, localised search then.

(I just realised the typo I made earlier in Granny Smith Apple... oh well).

James

Top Contributor
Over optimization has been hit hard recently.

Make your titles smart and for humans, not for robots, it is also important to make titles for CTR reasons.

Also be cautious of going out and changing a huge number of index page title tags, ive seen sites hit for that in the past.

bendigo bendigo optometrist, optometrist bendigo (sounds spammy)

Bendigo Optometrist Information, News and Resources the Complete List (a bit better)

Ask yourself what would you rather click on...

Last edited:

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members