What's new

The Oldest .NET and .ORG Domain Names

chris

Top Contributor
A bit of nostalgia, I know this has been covered before but still interesting, especially checking the .nets and .orgs.

As someone interested in DNS and Internet history, I've always been enjoying facts and articles about early registered domain names. Wikipedia has a page on the subject, but the list is extremely short for .net and .org domains.

Using the DDN NIC domain summaries, it shouldn't be too difficult to extract a list of domains, perform whois queries to get registration dates, and sort the results. Let's find out.

For the record, the oldest issue I could find, dating from December 1987, doesn't list nordu.net, the first .net domain ever registered. So I opted for the August 1995 edition to be on the safe side. While I could also find an issue from 1996, there are a lot more domains listed so the whois lookups would take a lot more time, for no evident benefit.

https://www.cambus.net/oldest-domains-in-the-com-net-and-org-tlds/

Scott7

Top Contributor
Gotta love that there were some hyphenated names among the first ever registered domains. Snoopy, please cover your eyes. :eek:
1991-05-07 five-colleges.net
1991-06-24 ohio-dmz.net
1986-08-05 bell-atl.com
And my personal favourite ... one for the .io fans :D ... 1986-11-17 data-io.com

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member