What's new

The next challenge is .....

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Hey There

I have just started to try and download my new forum .......first one i paid for installation but this time after watching a youtube video i decided i should try for my self ... so far so good

I get to the 1.30 part of this video and then i hit a snag ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTa0FA1y9Vw

when i try to rename the config.php.new to just config.php i get a message saying 'this process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'

Which is a real bummer because i seemed on my way and able to follow the instructions up to this point

It may be worth mentioning that about a week ago all my folders in the download section of my computer reverted back to 'word' for reasons i do not understand and i was unable to open anything?

I was advised that i could simply download 7-zip and use that as my extraction tool, i did this and to a point it seems to work well

So when i first got the message 'this process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process' i deleted the extracted files and then opened the newly downloaded folder under the 'archive heading'

it opened up and i was then able to open up the 'includes folder' and make my way down to the 'config.php.new' and this is where i have hit a snag ?

So i am wondering if it is my computer or is there something else stopping me from installing my new forum ??

The above has just been posted at the 'vbulletins forum' but i thought i might post it here as well just to see what the verdict might be ?

See, the ftp dilemma was easy compared to this one :(

ScottNugent

Top Contributor
Make sure the config.php.new file isn't open anywhere. A restart of your computer should fix this up if it doesn't seem to be open (will flush any lingering processes), but if that still doesn't I am not sure.

Perhaps just copy and rename, instead of just rename?

paz

It may be worth mentioning that about a week ago all my folders in the download section of my computer reverted back to 'word' for reasons i do not understand and i was unable to open anything?

Haha Spacey you are the best!

I don't know what happened here but it could only happen to you...space cadet of dntrade

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
well ya gotta be in it to win it

Now weird stuff .......tried again after posting here and it worked ??

There are two folders in my download section and strangely one is dated a week ago ??

(after extracting to downloads section in my pc)

So without really knowing what i am doing i moved the upload folder to my desktop and then went to filezila to start the ftp

I was able to navigate and open up the upload folder and then i dragged into the website after opening public html on the right

Now i did open this website folder after doing this and it seemed to have all the required files

But there is still a transfer taking place

Seems a bit strange but at this point and i might cancel the transfer and see what happened ??

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
it did not work

this time i am trying to transfer files via the individual folders (click and drag over) to the website/folder after having opened the public_html

I wonder why it take forever ? on the videos they upload almost instantly ?

I wonder if a file fails to upload is there an option to 'retry' ?? ......filezila

It seems to create the datbase is not a problem but when it comes to transfering the files is where i may be getting into trouble

From the two videos i have watched both have a different approach ?

At this point i need to know if failed file transfers can be retrieved and re-transfered to get this thing working (vbulletin forum)

johno69

Top Contributor
Just pay someone. You're going to spend 20 hours trying to do it at this rate.

Some young guru will do it for a song i'm sure.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Haha Spacey you are the best!

I don't know what happened here but it could only happen to you...space cadet of dntrade

Hey Paz

what's the correct spelling ......... Astronaught/Astronaut ??

I did manage to do the ftp and just one small clitch means i may have to do it again, i am sure it happens to the best of them :rolleyes:

payattention

Archived Member
Might be a bit late but you should check out XenForo; it's made by the previous owners of VB and is about 100x better - easier to install, configure etc etc.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo