What's new

The best newb way to monetize domain

Hi,

as stated in my introduction im new to domains and have about 5 which in my opinion are ok names with some resale value in the future.

From my reading until I work out what/how to develop these further, I should 'park' these with a provider?

Does anyone make any sort of money from this? or is this a way to possibly earn a tiny bit of $ until it is developed?

Who would be the recommended 'parker'? I would guess there would be some companies out there who could lie about how many views/clicks you had?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

Thanks

findtim

Top Contributor
firstly ... I don't park, but that's just my choice, so I can only say what I have heard.

parking may just cover your reg fees, depending on the domain quality

the right parking is within AUda rules of keeping a domain.

parking with a "potentially for sale" sign CAN bring sales results.

other then that i'll leave it to the experts to respond.

tim

Thanks,

Could I ask why you don't park? If you've got it just sitting there how are you full filling auda rules?

You say the 'right' parking is within auda rules, are you able to elaborate on this?

Thanks

nt81

Top Contributor
Welcome aboard.

You may want to have a read of this first :)
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/current-policies/2012-04/

In particular

AUDA said:
Prohibition on registering domain names for sole purpose of resale
8. A registrant may not register a domain name for the sole purpose of resale or transfer to another entity.

AUDA said:
2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:

a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or

b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, in accordance with the categories of “close and substantial connection” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs.

3. A domain name may also be registered in the com.au 2LD under paragraph 2(b) for the purpose of domain monetisation, in accordance with the explanation of “domain monetisation” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs, provided that the following conditions are met:

a) the content on the website to which the domain name resolves must be related specifically and predominantly to subject matter denoted by the domain name; and

b) the domain name must not be, or incorporate, an entity name, personal name or brand name in existence at the time the domain name was registered*.

* Definitions:

“entity name” means the name of an Australian registered company or incorporated association as listed with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), or the name of an Australian government body. It does not include a registered business name;
“personal name” means the given name(s) and/or last name of a person; and
“brand name” means the name of an identifiable and distinctive product or service, whether commercial or non-commercial.

findtim

Top Contributor
Thanks,

Could I ask why you don't park? If you've got it just sitting there how are you full filling auda rules?

You say the 'right' parking is within auda rules, are you able to elaborate on this?

Thanks

well I just meet all the AUda rules as stated above by nt81, I don't sell domains ! I'm not a domainer, I am a developer and ALL my domains are in development in some way, some weeks I do 20 some weeks I do 1.

I work in verticals that I have registered business names in which have a
close and substantial connection

I treat them like blocks of land, you need to research what house/flats/units you want to put on them, look at the shadows the development will cast, what is the local market, who will visit my new development? and sometimes I can buy a domain and have it running in 1 day, but sometimes it may take a year

as nt81 suggested , just the rules, but like most documents you may not understand and sometimes get it wrong, I think if you are acting honestly and not strategically you should be fine as the AUda are very good at sifting through BS complaints.

if the loophole of AUda's rules is parking and they were to attack developers like me then I think there is a need for change, parking to me is NO different to an YET unused domain and I would love other peoples opinions as I also want to understand why this rule exists.

tim

chris

Top Contributor
Hi,

as stated in my introduction im new to domains and have about 5 which in my opinion are ok names with some resale value in the future.

From my reading until I work out what/how to develop these further, I should 'park' these with a provider?

Does anyone make any sort of money from this? or is this a way to possibly earn a tiny bit of $ until it is developed?

Who would be the recommended 'parker'? I would guess there would be some companies out there who could lie about how many views/clicks you had?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

Thanks

No stupid questions, it's a topic that comes up all the time :)

Typically you have to have heaps of traffic to make anything from parking, even then it's usually not a lot. However parking can help you get a feel for the type of traffic, origin, search terms etc.

We have a list of domain name parking companies, there are lots. If anyone has any companies to add to the list or experiences please share.

snoopy

Top Contributor
If these are typical reg fee names they'll make near nothing because they'll have pretty much no real traffic. Might as well park and collect whatever you can, however with 5 names it is probably going to be cents per year, not dollars.

Even making reg fee is an exceptional result because people have been trawling for any name than can make over reg fee for a a decade or two.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member