1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

tax and domain purchases

Discussion in 'Domain News' started by smee, Aug 29, 2011.

1. smee

smee Membership: Community

I'm sure I read somewhere on this forum that members were able to claim domain purchases as a tax deduction. Not sure how that works as the advice I had in the situation I put to my tax person was:

1. - set up a family trust
    2. - set up a new website
    3. - purchase an existing domain name in the thousands of dollars

and I was told I could not claim the purchase of the domain name as a tax deduction and that the domain name purchase would be seen as a capital gain/loss if and when the website was sold.

While I realise members are not tax experts, I'm certainly interested in your thoughts on this.

2. James

James Membership: VIP

I would also question the idea of setting up family trusts with domains, I am no tax expert yet I read recently they are really trying to crack on this type of thing.

Couldn't a better way to do business be work out to start up some type of start up business start up and run a high priced domain via the business you make??? I dunno never done it LOL...

But really the Government is cracking down on every thing, you can not even claim entrepreneurs tax-off set any more, they replaced it with the "New Car buyers tax bonus", which you can not even get...article: http://www.startupsmart.com.au/fina...-mp-hits-out-at-entrepreneurs-tax-offset.html

Why be an entrepreneur in Australia any more Labor will just cut you down...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    There are many ways to structure your tax arrangements - particularly for professional domainers. Some of us even put "keepers"
    into S/M Superannuation Funds.

I would suggest that you seek out other opinions from other accountants.

Having said that, I might seek out an accountant to write a "guest article" on the subject. Obviously it will only be a "generalised"
    article (you know the sort of disclaimers they all give!).

4. joe

joe Membership: Community

5. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

The advice sounds reasonable to me. Tax deductions would generally be for reg fees. It might be possible to write of the value of a domain name, but the basis of that is that it is a depreciating item.

6. snoopy

snoopy Membership: VIP

A large %, possibly even most private businesses in Australia are setup this way.

7. Designer

Designer Membership: Community

@James - my accountant recommended a Family Trust for asset protection and tax benefits.

8. James

James Membership: VIP

But with domains is the question isn't it, not with a family business.

Like I said I don't know as I am not an accountant, I wouldn't take my advice all I know is from what I read in financial review and on start up sites and it is evident that we have been hit
    hard recently with the govt stopping many thing.

Example:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...s-trusts-report-pd20110817-KTRAC?OpenDocument

But yeah this is an area i need to investigate too...Will ask my accountant =)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011