What's new

Suggestion for auDA

DavidL

Top Contributor
Whenever I see a .com address printed on the side of a truck etc, I always think what a waste!

I can't understand why a business that operates solely in Australia would register a .com. I suspect the reason might be because they think it's cheaper (they see US$8 p.a. rather than A$140/2 years (MIT)) or they don't give it enough thought.

So, I think a great initiative would be for auDA to spend a bit of money and get them to at least register the com.au equivalent. And also try to educate potantial registrants of the value of a .au domain.

1) They should commission some research as to what an Australian would most naturally assume an Aussie website's extension should be.

This could be as simple as surveying 1,000 people and asking them the question. "If a company's business name is 'John Smith Plumbing', what would you expect their website address to be?"

All of us here know that 90%+ of people would probably say johnsmithplumbing.com.au

That research would be a powerful selling tool for the .AU web space.

2) Secondly, they acquire a list of all the Australian based websites that use .com as their extension. Run a script to check whether the .au equivalent is available and then, if so, email them all to let them know and include a copy of the research above.

(Gathering email addresses using WHOIS would be a manual process of course but as it's a relevant business proposition, it's certainly not spamming)

Also let them know that the average retail price of .au domains is now around A$35 for 2 years.

What do you think?

loho27

Agree But

I do not think it should be left totally to the auda.

I'm sure that it is part of the Registrar Agreement that they agree to promote the .com.au extension.

Like most Industries and Industry bodies they often fail to look outside of there own paddock.

The list that you produce, is probably the most powerfull tool available to promote the .com.au extension. It should appear in every Saturday Newspaper in the country, as a matter of Record.

I mean they publish Meat, Livestock and Grain Sales.

The web industry needs to be educated also, true marketing on and of the web has to involve both online and offline efforts.

My two bobs

Regards

TroyW

Top Contributor
I'd like to see domain names that use offensive language barred. Seriously, when did F#^K become legal to use in public (or tv for that matter)? I couldn't register a business name using it so why is it ok as a domain?

Would generate some great media attention. Maybe I'm just a middle aged fuddy duddy. Oooo, wonder if fuddyduddy.com's available? brb. ;)

DavidL

Top Contributor
I do not think it should be left totally to the auda.

I'm sure that it is part of the Registrar Agreement that they agree to promote the .com.au extension.

Agreed. Registrars have a great deal to gain. If they were to use the targetted approach described above they could quote exact pricing & try & win the business.

IMO some of the blame has to go to web designers who haven't got a clue about doing business

Yeah but web designers aren't always involved. I think the selection of a domain name is more of a business decision rather than a design decision & the business owners just need a bit more education

loho27

Web Developers

As a developer, I totally understand the importance of the domain.

Its the designers and the branders that have the problem. They are all too caught up in the print way of doing things. I don't know how many times I've been presented with a design, abused a designer, been told "thats what the client wants" and then after I've spoken to the client , the design changes.

But all really comes down to education.

Free Seminars, from Australian Industry leaders etc would really get the message out there, starting from a grass roots level.

But I think the auda appears so caught up in its legal issues its dropped the ball.

It really is up to the registrars to get the ball rolling.

An example of this is the Free Internet Magazine that Netregistry sends out. It is fantastic, but typically, it only goes to its own clients. Its about expanding the market out of the box.

Regards

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
Yeah I get that mag NETT sent to me and flick though it. I agree that NETT can be good at educating SME's. (if it actually gets read, I see them in the bin next to the PO box).

Dunno about those netfleet ads thou :p

Anyway don't forget to blame AusRegisty. Although i'm pretty sure they do/have done some marketing.

loho27

Same Old Story

Really it is the same old story.

"If you are not out there batting, you can't score any runs"

:)

Oz.

Top Contributor
As a developer, I totally understand the importance of the domain.

Its the designers and the branders that have the problem. They are all too caught up in the print way of doing things. I don't know how many times I've been presented with a design, abused a designer, been told "thats what the client wants" and then after I've spoken to the client , the design changes.

But all really comes down to education.

Free Seminars, from Australian Industry leaders etc would really get the message out there, starting from a grass roots level.

But I think the auda appears so caught up in its legal issues its dropped the ball.

It really is up to the registrars to get the ball rolling.

An example of this is the Free Internet Magazine that Netregistry sends out. It is fantastic, but typically, it only goes to its own clients. Its about expanding the market out of the box.

Regards

I know this thread is a old, but are you guys still getting the free netregistry magazine? Mine stopped coming some time ago :(

johno69

Top Contributor
I know this thread is a old, but are you guys still getting the free netregistry magazine? Mine stopped coming some time ago :(

Yes. But i regularly register domains from NR & affiliates.

Have you registered one there lately?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
how about the auda pay for the first reg , i dont think they should be telling people what to do , some of these business's have a history with their .com name and perhaps dont wish to change it , some are maybe just paying off their home loans and just getting by , with out needing toprint out new business cards and so on , and i dont think i want the auda telling me what to do , plus i dont think resellers would want that price ??

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member