What's new

Study Proves Domains Matter for CTR

DavidL

Top Contributor
I'm sure we all knew this but a comprehensive study by Microsoft/Stanford really makes it indisputable:

http://searchengineland.com/microso...ally-do-favor-some-domains-over-others-104560

If you believe that CTR matters for ranking (as I do), then it follows that 'good' domains will also rank better regardless of the actual keywords within. But if you combine that with strong keywords within, closely related to the search queries you actual have a 2-pronged benefit.

And then there are the SEM implications...

Higher CTR ---> Higher Quality Score ---> Lower CPC/Higher Position ---> More Efficient CPC Campaign

Drop.com.au

Top Contributor
Unfortunately, I think there's been a few domainer blogs jump on this too soon without digging into the content.

The report seems to confuse the words "brand" and "domain" and doesn't necessarily prove the correlation between keyword domains and CTR.

Andrew Alleman has written an article at http://domainnamewire.com/2011/12/1...rosofts-study-has-nothing-to-do-with-domains/

Not that I disagree with the premise that Keyword domains improve CTR, just that this isn't the research to prove it.

Andrew

DavidL

Top Contributor
The report seems to confuse the words "brand" and "domain" and doesn't necessarily prove the correlation between keyword domains and CTR.

Which report? The actual report or that searchengineland article?

I think the conclusion is:

1) People consider the domain name carefully before clicking and that it has a big influence in CTR
2) People will judge that domain as delivering credibility to the page

This is distinct from keywords, Andrew. It's saying a 'reputable' domain can help CTR. I take that to mean names like:

Microsoft.com
Blue.com
Electricity.com.au
Hobart.com.au

So, it's still good news :)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online