What's new

speed up your wordpress site

findtim

Top Contributor
one of things a lot of people forget is SPEED, they create a site and it looks great but loads sh*t.
i personally don't want to waste my time on things that can be fairly automated so i chose to outsource this and this is how i do it.

firstly i create a new user in wp admin, this way as soon as the outsourcing is completed i can just delete the account, but generally i leave it and change the password, if i need other work then i just create a new password.
if the work involves cpanel, i change the cpanel password for that period of time, normally just 2-3 days and then change it back. REALLY import steps that, sounds obvious but i have heard of people not doing that and later finding the outsourcer is using the site for other agendas !!!!!!!!!

for small jobs i go to fiverr.com , its tricky, you either go well or it fails? my rule is i test people on MY sites and not my clients, once they pass the test i then trust them to work on my clients, BUT i don't tell them the first is mine, normally i use a site thats in dev so i have nothing major to lose.
back to speed or any other outsourcing, backup backup backup as outsources don't and if they F up they will deny everything and then disappear !!!!
this is the guy i have been using for google speed improvement but he is also a developer, https://www.fiverr.com/kenjennings, feel free to tell him @findtim told you.
the hardest bit is finally finding someone good and priced fairly.
the 2 last speed projects he did took a very heavy site from 18/100 to 80/100 score ! the 18 came from the client changing things i had done since i handed it over, so it was a retro fix it job.
the 2nd job stuffed up, changes he made stopped my ecom search functions working, without extra cost we restored the site to PRE-HIM touching it and he put it all back in again. this time noting some conflicts and working around them, thats why i will be using him again.

anyway, i've always said if you have a freelancer thats doing good work promoting them helps all, if they see you as a chanel to more work i can tell you from experience they work BLOODY hard for you , its far easier to grow a client then find a new one and freelancers KNOW this.

hope that helps someone.

tim

Lemon

Top Contributor
the 18 came from the client changing things i had done since i handed it over, so it was a retro fix it job.
It's a bit like handing the Mona Lisa over to your client and then they decide to put a smile on her face.

findtim

Top Contributor
Mona Lisa
oh, I charged them !!! to fix it.
I always get clients to sign off on a dev, draw a line in the sand, but I do say if they find anything down the track that I DEEM could be an oversight by me there will be no charge BUT, if they allow ANYONE else to access the admin then "that seal is broken" and you are on your own.
I had 1 client that had installed @ 4 new plugins and the site stopped working THEN tried to tell me that "oh no, nobody has touched the site" !!! , I just laughed and said I have NEVER used those plugins in my life so someone put them there !
she then continued to deny it so I said that at the end of every job I do a full backup and download it to my storage so if she wants me to unpack that zip drive ......that has the date in the file name........it will show that these plugins happened after I handed it over.
she still wouldn't say the words but she paid my invoice for the fix.
thankfully it happens rarely.
in the past I have even said after their long winded explanation that I must have done something wrong " ohhh I totally understand, now before I start how about you tell me the truth? "
tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members