What's new

Some questions...

Guys,

I've been spending a bit of time here over the past few days; alone mostly I've noted. (I cant believe this forum is absolutely cracking - though I'm sure it won't be long) I've been getting up to speed on some of the older posts, checking the appraisals etc and have some questions.

In general do pretty much the same rules apply to .au's as the .com's and .net's? I read a great basic intro thread to domain valuation at digital point I think. It was a really good reference - to help me stop compulsive buying at times :)

Would someone here be able to put together a similar sticky?

I note that most appraisals mention type in traffic, is this really a major benefit that would be considered over say dictionary single word or brandability? I just think as far as type in's are concerned all domains would pale to the mighty .com and that's a bit depressing!

I have a lot more questions and some comments regarding past discussions; we need to get some excitement back for the good old .au's

Cheers,
Robyn

PS are there any other female members yet?

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
i dont believe there is any parking income for .com.au's , but i have had a few clicks on businessadvice*com*au ....... i feel it's only been spotted in my signiture though

I believe the word 'brandabilty' will become more common , it seems geos are always a good investment

just my 2cents worth

Wade

Most single word .com.au domains get typeins, however the value of those typeins is determined by the purpose of the traffic, for example someone typing in hotels.com.au is worth more than someone typing in scared.com.au, one is very clear and obvious with a likely high dollar purchase in mind, the other less so.

If you are conducting business with domainers or anyone with some level of internet marketing experience typeins are a big deal, it is one of the main metrics they use to determine value.

Typeins provide a clearer path to ROI, whether thats reg fee or aftermarket, if the domain name comes with traffic the opportunity exists to turn a profit either from development or parking.

As for brandability, you might get lucky and someone will ask to buy it one day, or you might decide to spend the money to actually brand it, but then if you've got the money you can brand any domain really, so your brandable domain is about as brandable as all the other brandable domains...

Robyn, you run a hosting business, imagine you owned hosting.com.au or webhosting.com.au, you would be looking at approximately between 100 and 500 type ins for either of these domains per month (possibly more), thats a lot of very targetted potential customers, instead most of your potential customers will have to come from advertising.

Great domains and typeins go hand in hand, you cant have one without the other. If your domain doesnt have typeins, well then the domain just isnt that great...and you likely have not enjoyed the benefit of type in traffic.

Thanks Wade,

I appreciate your explanations, and the path to ROI part makes a lot of sense. In general I have a good understanding of the value of such highly intentional type in traffic but wonder how much of that appeal is lost for .com.au specifically.

Also is there any standard for estimating what % of exact phrase Search Engine Searches could be expected as type ins?

Regards,
Robyn

Wade

There are plenty of .com.au domains with significant typein volumes.

The overture tool use to give the best guage for typeins, with that gone keyword discovery and the google adwords keyword tool provide the best substitutes, however there are no hard and fast rules for converting search volume to typein volume, the best method is comparison, research and most of all experience.

Data Glasses

Top Contributor
Business
Computers
Travel
Shopping
Health
Financial
Sports
Careers
Region
Education

the top most searched subjects on afternic ( ijust received an email from them)

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member