1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Business .Net. Au

Discussion in 'Site Review' started by DnEbook, Apr 8, 2011.

1. DnEbook

DnEbook Membership: VIP

Just started up www.smallbusiness.net.au

It i basically designed to promote individual small business's both online and offline , each listing/display will be unique to it's category and it is hoped overtime that there will be many small business's that will enjoy the free advertising but also maybe inspire others to also have a go at what enjoy and are possibly good at.

People can write a 1000 word (max) description about their small business venture and enjoy a free link and hopefully some business for their efforts

The idea is for all types of small business's online and offline , so if you have a friend who run a small business

On a rotation basis of first in their small business will be on the front page until perhaps the next day when i add another , after it leaves the front page it will be placed under it's own category heading in the sidebar

i walked past the second hand record shop today and invited them to list their story, they seemed interested, the only stipulation is i am not allowing adult based business

So if you or a friend would like to share your story/service please do go to this page and have a read

http://smallbusiness.net.au/sample-page/

I have no doubt there could be better ways of doing certain things but my experience and resources have seen me decide to do it this way for now

Regards

Rod

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. Timmy

Timmy Banned

Hey Spacey,

Good idea mate, I actually think I've seen a WP theme around the place that would be perfect for what you're trying to achieve. From memory it was based on a directory style and pretty simple to setup etc. It was also capable of featuring certain listings for certain periods of time.

From my personal experience there's usually a theme out there to suit every task, and sometimes for peanuts too. As I said, great concept though - I'll try find the theme and get back to you. It might not be exactly what you're looking for but it would take out the need for manual work which could be appealing.

Cheer, T.

3. FirstPageResults

FirstPageResults Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    People love free advestising and links so I think it could gain some ground in time.

Quite like the name, but it doesn't look very inviting at the moment. Blue theme is a good choice for a site like this, but would be nicer with a white background where the body content is.

Also if you could just add some mechanism (form) for small businesses to add their stories and link to it with a big red button from the homepage you'll get more submissions.

4. DnEbook

I think once the site has a few listings it will look a bit better , i like the theme by way of it represents a few different elements, air, water, city, travel

At some stage i can have a look at the colors , i have done that before on a wordpress site , mostly want you guys to get your story on there

thank for imput , timmy don't be too fused for now , i may ask you later on about that

5. johno69

johno69 Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    http://opnpress.sofarider.com/ ?? Looks.. shall I say... Perfect?

It's quite a cheap theme too.

6. DnEbook

seems to have a few good features , i can see why some would like it , i am a bit unsure if it's grabbing me by the short and curly's ?

What i am wondering is how a one day old site has a page rank of 2 ?

7. DnEbook

forgot to say thank for suggestion

8. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Why do you say it's one day old?

It's a theme demo, been around a while.

9. DnEbook

10. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
  11. DnEbook

i wonder if changing the theme would affect this . any ideas how come such a strange happening ?

12. DnEbook

So no opinions why a one day old website with sfa content or links has an instant pagerank of two ?

I really like to know your view on this

13. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Backlinks from here.

14. neddy

neddy Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Where do we send you the bill Spacey? Ha ha! :D

15. payattention

payattention Archived Member

Did you purchase the domain on drops/aftermarket or hand register it? If it's the first, it probably already had a PR of 2.

Also, I'd be inclined to remove the advertisement label from your Adsense blocks.

16. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    I'd also have someone proof read your stuff. The inconsistency in grammar takes away from any professionalism.

17. DnEbook

It was an aftermarket purchase and the idea of removing the advertisement label is valid point thanks

I didn't think the grammar was all that bad , i do admit it could look more fluent and set out slightly better ..... gotta start somewhere i guess

At this point i am toying with the idea of changing templates to one suggested

So it's all good , thanks for your imput

18. johno69

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Okay. If you want specific feedback one day, happy to help.

Great idea.

You're welcome.

19. DnEbook

yes i have just spotted a number of grammar errors and also that the S on my keyboard is a but dodgy !

20. DnEbook

As mentioned in another thread ......all deals are done at the Grand Hotel in South Port Queensland at 11. 00 a.m that way i can enjoy a beer after wards and even go for a fish off one of the nearby pontoons

:rolleyes: