What's new

slack invoice paying clients

findtim

Top Contributor
i have a large corporate client that is always late in paying my invoices, i don't really care but what does PEE me of is simple things like domain name renewal and hosting as they are using MY MONEY.

so i tried to cover the subject with their accounts department today and say this is no longer acceptable, so "miss I HAVE THE POWER" says, " we pay our invoices on 30 days " to which i replied " no problems, next years hosting invoice will be sent 60 days in advance and we will both be happy"

to which she replied " WELL we will still pay from the 30 days "

to which i replied " not a problem, will you send me a remitence of payment" ?

and she said " yes"

i said "great, which email address will you send that FROM as your current email will no longer be working as your domains will cease to exist because you didn't pay your invoice on time" ?

-------------------------

F them, would they have that conversation with telstra? , electricity, gas, ?

i only wrote this post for newbies getting pushed over, even oldbies get pushed over :)

tim

helloworld

Top Contributor
You've never worked with an adevertising agency like OMD then. They are the worst. There is some old school rule in advertising which allows them to pay 45 days from EOM.

So if you bill on the 7th, they will pay 45 days from the 30th. AND you need to call everyone to make sure they have the invoices. So if the marketing person hasn't passed it on or hasn't signed off on it it can be then delayed another 30-45 days.

James

Top Contributor
We have 2 ASX listed clients and a few other larger clients who do take around 40ish days to make payments. I guess this is something you need to expect when you deal with a larger business.

We also have several mid-size businesses who we work with who pay in around 10ish days which is alright.

This is something you deal with running a business, the larger the client the slower the pay. If you have a good relation with them you can try to get payments done in advanced and know when their billing cycles are.

BenWalker

Top Contributor
You've never worked with an adevertising agency like OMD then. They are the worst. There is some old school rule in advertising which allows them to pay 45 days from EOM.

So if you bill on the 7th, they will pay 45 days from the 30th. AND you need to call everyone to make sure they have the invoices. So if the marketing person hasn't passed it on or hasn't signed off on it it can be then delayed another 30-45 days.

I second that!

The worst I've had was MometumWW. 90 DAY Terms!!!

They were new clients so ended up bending over backwards to get the gig.

Beatzones

"great, which email address will you send that FROM as your current email will no longer be working as your domains will cease to exist because you didn't pay your invoice on time"

That's really funny :)

findtim

Top Contributor
EVERY dev job i do i insist that i will host, my reason is actually for the protection of the client, if i am in control then i have access to all areas.

i'm a "softy" mostly but just sometimes clients hit the line and i have to nail them.

i have a client right now that is $600 overdue since march and has asked for another month and i have given that to them, but ONCE they pay i WILL make a phone call and say .......... this is never to happen again.......

this i think keeps the client but tells them i'm pissed off.

it is always easier to keep a client then find a client IMO

tim

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
Don't be too soft though. Plenty of people will cry poor, but pay other suppliers on time or ahead of you.

If you have corporate clients and they want extended payment terms, then factor that in to the price. Especially if you're paying on credit.

I can recall one client (agency) that never paid on time, so you'd hassle them.. and hassle them... and then they would send a check in the mail.

Sometimes you've just gotta be the door bitch.

James

Top Contributor
Well we have one client at the moment who is a dev agency actually, and they originally contacted my company for some help with 2 specific accounts as their main guy was going on a 2 month holiday. And they had 4 site moves on for just the 2 clients (complex clients with numerous sites). So we go to all their meetings, we do all the work, all the pre/ post launch reviews, we go out of our way and shift around work for our main clients to make way for them. As these are two VERY big accounts. Then after we do the work they are pulling the whole 45-50 day payment terms. It is not favorable in a situation like this. Situations like this are not great if your company goes out of your way to help some one in a situation like they were in then they take for ever in a day to pay. Crazy thing is I know they invoice in Advance as well. Oh well

nina

Top Contributor
I have an awesome debt collector who has helped me with some long overdue invoices and now. She's professional, persistent and reasonably priced, but more than that she can advise you on how to set your pricing and invoices in place so that you dictate the terms, not the client. .. let me know if you want her details.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member