1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

SEO Genius or Just Lucky?

Discussion in 'SEO & SEM Discussions' started by dicardo83, Feb 19, 2014.

1. dicardo83

dicardo83 Membership: Community

Hi All, take a look at what ranks #1 on Google for "local government expressions of interest" and you will see this URL - tamworth.nsw.gov.au/Council/Tenders--Quotations-and-Expressions-of-Interest--EOI-/Process-for-Tendering--Quotations-and-Expressions-of-Interest/Process-for-Tendering--Quotations-and-Expressions-of-Interest/default.aspx

I might try this using my keywords just to see what happens? :)

2. zhenjie

zhenjie Membership: VIP

That's a crazy URL but certainly relevant. .gov.au sure helps though!

3. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    don't go down that path, you have a long tail search in a low competition search term and government backlinks everywhere.

this will not work for "real websites" not even dubbo dentist would get away with that technique.

tim

4. petermeadit

petermeadit Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Ah, this is not the result of SEO methods. But it is dependent on how the algo works. Google wants to show authoritative results.

So the question is how relevant is this search result to the search query?

5. Alex

Alex Membership: Community

Am guessing this is a Hummingbird conversation? Like -> "local government expressions of interest" "Quotations-and-Expressions-of-Interest" ?

6. helloworld

helloworld Membership: VIP

Without looking at it I'd say, relevant keywords in domain, on page data and gov website with links to the root. Nothing special here I'm afraid

7. James

James Membership: VIP

.gov sites can do very well in the serps.

It is not even a competitive term.

8. mjonezy

mjonezy Membership: VIP

As Peter said above, i don't think this is really the work of SEO or intentional keyword stuffing, but rather just really bad URL struture - if anything, there might even be an issue with their CMS if the same directory is showing up twice in the same URL string.

9. dicardo83

dicardo83 Membership: Community

This is correct. Obviously someone has created a subfolder in a subfolder in the CMS not realising the impact it has on the URL (why would they care?) hence each subfolder URL is shown in the complete URL.