What's new

SEO - Backlinks over focus??

shags38

Top Contributor
Hi,

for those that don't know me I only learned what the 3 letters SEO meant a few months ago so therefore I am certainly no expert.

I'm not really sure that there is such a thing anyway :D

So, So, so much talk is about backlinks. Yes they are important however in my humble opinion there is far too much focus on back links and not enough said about other important SEO factors. Just a quick example - I have a site ranking PR3 fairly consistently (has been for about 6 weeks) - it has 8 (eight) incoming links, 3 of which are from one site and 3 are from 3 of my other sites. EIGHT ...... let me repeat that ....... 2 less than 10 ..... or 4 times 2 ........ or 92 less than 100. This could be an example of quality of links and not numbers but also other factors.

Obviously the site has some other reasonable SEO factors like Content etc ... and .......The same site has over 400 "INTERNAL LINKS" ...... so often forgotten. They carry very significant weight in the ranking algorithms but as far as I have seen in many forums they are rarely mentioned. (10 pages linked to each other to each other equals 100 internal links)

Again, I am not an SEO expert so why am I writing this? Because again today I have seen a post using the term "thousands" - you see it every day in various forums. Being new I want to help others avoid the misnoma of backlinks importance foresaking all else - I went on the backlink trail some time back and left everything else alone because it was all I saw, it dominated most of the advice I got.

So for what it is worth, get backlinks but don't end up with thousands and a still poor ranking site by foresaking other important aspects.

cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Chris.C

Top Contributor
Backlinks are not really that important unless competition is present.

So it depends what industry you are targeting. Try ranking in the top 3 for any 1000+ search volume term in the insurance, poker, loan, credit, law etc industries without backlinks.

shags38

Top Contributor
Backlinks are not really that important unless competition is present.

So it depends what industry you are targeting. Try ranking in the top 3 for any 1000+ search volume term in the insurance, poker, loan, credit, law etc industries without backlinks.

Good comment CNC ...... now I think we are getting somewhere - RELATIVITY.

cheers,
Mike

James

Top Contributor
Lol back links are one of the most important SEO factors, unless you are targeting some low traffic niche.

WG2010

Archived Member
Lol back links are one of the most important SEO factors, unless you are targeting some low traffic niche.

You would do well to listen to shags38, he has amazing domains like 3d-everything-under-the-sun.info

I knew I was building links the wrong way. I'm going to just build internal links from here on in and on a new domain to boot as well. Talk about authority!

After a long day of SEO work, I like to relax with a cool drink of 3d link juice.

Last edited:

marketingweb

Top Contributor
The right type of backlinks are definately powerful. I'll give you a strange example of how powerful.

I have a situation right now where someone I was outsourcing some work to messed up, and used the wrong anchor URL on a project - a non-existant one. Basically they were using the right keywords in the anchor text, but pointing the links to a URL that didn't exist. I wasn't watching closely enough and this linkbuilding went on for a couple weeks until a week ago.

Because of the way the particular site was set up in cubecart, rather than thowing an "actual" 404 error, it redirected to a not found 404 page (hard to explain, but basically it means Google didn't see it as a 404 error page, even though that's what it was)

ANYWAY, the backlinks built have managed to rank this "page not found" page in the top 20 for all of the 5 targetted keywords, including #1 in Google for one of the secondary keywords. You got it - i'm the proud SEO guy looking after a #1 Google ranked error page for a low-ish competition keyword and a top #20 for a really good medium competition one, despite NONE of the keywords appearing on the page!

The solution to this unfortunate situation is easy of course, i've already put in a 301 redirect to the correct page - and now just waiting for Google to pick up the change (it's taking it's time, bloody!)

ANYWAY, I know this will get a laugh at my expense from someone, but it does show the power of links with Anchor text!

Matt

Chris.C

Top Contributor
I'm not laughing as much as I am wondering which link building service you use!

Can you please PM me their details.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members