What's new

Selling Domains

Greg23

Hey Guys,

Hoping you will be able to help, I have been buying domains for auond 6 months and now it's probably time to start and sell a couple of them. Can you guide me on the best way possible to do this? Do any of you have contacts for Fitness Domains?

chris

Top Contributor
Hi Greg, don't give up on the idea of developing your names. I'm happy to help you get started if that's still something you're keen on doing?

Greg23

That would be fantastic Chris, any pointers you can give me would be much appreciated.

What type of domains do you deal with?

Blue Wren

Top Contributor
I'm with Chris; in encouraging you to develop your domains.

I'm doing just that right at the moment and it is a fun journey. :)

findtim

Top Contributor
That would be fantastic Chris, any pointers you can give me would be much appreciated.

Work out what you are good at and what you are bad at and then find someone to fill the gap.

if you have a little bit of knowledge then use wordpress, grab some beers and get onto youtube and search " wordpress tutorial 101 " or something like that, buy a nice theme ( @ $29) and repeat it, join some affilate programs [ i personally do not recommend clix galore dot com au from my personal past experience ]

don't join to many affliate programs as you will never get a cheque as they don't pay till you reach $50 ? - ish in commission

COSTS are the killer of any business, don't buy anymore domains until you start the current ones paying for themselves, so work on that then you can move forward.

no matter what the domain name is, even if its the GOD of all domains it should make money whilst it is waiting to be sold, YES there are some exceptions like sex.com but most of us do not have that caliber of domain in our folio so at least plan always to cover your costs or you will go under quickly

if you can't make 20 domains make money then owning 200 isn't going to help you.

if you can't sell 1 domain then buying more isn't going to help you sell more

tim

chris

Top Contributor

What type of domains do you deal with?

Hi Greg, happy to help! I'll send you a PM to see if we can meet up. Tim's advice is great, definitely start off simple. I usually find topics that I'm passionate about or that interest me and take it from there.

FirstPageResults

Top Contributor
no matter what the domain name is, even if its the GOD of all domains it should make money whilst it is waiting to be sold, YES there are some exceptions like sex.com but most of us do not have that caliber of domain in our folio so at least plan always to cover your costs or you will go under quickly

if you can't make 20 domains make money then owning 200 isn't going to help you.

if you can't sell 1 domain then buying more isn't going to help you sell more

This makes sense if you are hand registering purely speculative domains... Premium generic domains on the other hand tend to appreciate in value over time, so from an investment POV I don't think they necessarily need to be making money.

I certainly would'nt pass up on a good buying opportunity just because I have X number of domains not making money!

Greg23

Thanks guys for the advice, I do appreciate it. I currently own 60 domains all .com's or .au

I like the idea of developing them..I am using a program called Protrada, have you guys heard of this? and thoughts? To start with it made buying and selling easy and they set up a website for you...however to help with SEO i imagine i am better off doing it myself?

Cheers

findtim

Top Contributor
This makes sense if you are hand registering purely speculative domains... Premium generic domains on the other hand tend to appreciate in value over time, so from an investment POV I don't think they necessarily need to be making money.

I certainly would'nt pass up on a good buying opportunity just because I have X number of domains not making money!

you're right but the point i was making is i talk to so many "new" domainers that buy without focus and when that big fish comes they have to let it swim past, get your folio in the black and keep it there so you can throw a line at the big fish. if they are all making renewal + $1 then its not hurting your rice bowl.

tim

DavidL

Top Contributor
This makes sense if you are hand registering purely speculative domains...

I don't even think speculative domains need to be making money?

Say you register 10 domains which make absolutely zip over 5 years.

You 'only' need to sell just one of them for $1,000 to double your money

snoopy

Top Contributor
I don't even think speculative domains need to be making money?

Say you register 10 domains which make absolutely zip over 5 years.

You 'only' need to sell just one of them for $1,000 to double your money

In the vast majority of cases that is going to be a loss maker. If they make "zip" over 5 years they'll likely make "zip" in the 5 years after that. From what I have seen of it people with very strong portfolios like buydomains sell about 1% of inventory a year, so if that is assumed as good selling ratio the above isn't going to work. The name choice needs to be excellent (better than 99% people) and the approach to sales needs to be good.

snoopy

Top Contributor
you're right but the point i was making is i talk to so many "new" domainers that buy without focus and when that big fish comes they have to let it swim past, get your folio in the black and keep it there so you can throw a line at the big fish. if they are all making renewal + $1 then its not hurting your rice bowl.

tim

Depends how that is done. If the solution is s____tty minisites then that will actually cost sales because people will be less likely to inquire versus a sales page. Remember the cost of your time as well, a "developed" site making $100 per year is still a loss maker in real terms unless you live in a jungle in Mongolia.

DavidL

Top Contributor
In the vast majority of cases that is going to be a loss maker.....

So, that may or may not be true. Not sure what your point is?

All I'm saying is that speculative domain investments don't have to have a +ve yield - just like shares, property or other investments.

chris

Top Contributor
Thanks guys for the advice, I do appreciate it. I currently own 60 domains all .com's or .au

I like the idea of developing them..I am using a program called Protrada, have you guys heard of this? and thoughts? To start with it made buying and selling easy and they set up a website for you...however to help with SEO i imagine i am better off doing it myself?

Cheers

Hi Greg, I've just sent you some details if you want to catch up. Your next steps really depend on what your overall objectives are.

Definitely listen to the advice on the members on this forum and go back through previous posts, that will give you a good feel for things. There is a wealth of experience here to help point you in the right direction!

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacemo