What's new

selling domains

findtim

Top Contributor
i was going to reply to a post but thought i'd put it here instead as its a reoccurring theme on DNT

i'm dropping many domains now, it was my learning curve, you come in .......... get the RUSH...... and then look back and say .......oh shit, it happens to all of us and don't beat yourself up on it, treat the money you spent as "just doing a course "
the advice above is good, these days go for less but better quality, it for me is about finding the potential buyers before purchasing the domain and what i do if everyone says no.

my personal opinion is ( in my experience) is that you need at least 6 potential buyers to create the leverage to move the domain on.
research research research, know who your client could be
just my ideas.............
i've been selling "something" since i was an 11yr old paper boy and i look back and the number 6 always comes to me.
1st best person, you are stressed and have to make the sale, so you are dead in the water
2nd best person, careful they may be friends with number 1, number 1's and 2's like to join forces, but number one will always screw over number 2 whenever they want and 2 accepts that so they stay number 2.
3rd best person, just not enough as the third is almost always the one that simply doesn't care
4th best person, now we are getting somewhere, and i always start here, and NEVER mention the others as its already been said in their mind, number for is the best bet, i either get a sale or " burn the bridge", this is where i get all the info i need, the "hot keys" of why they won't and why they would iffffffff.
i then go to number 1, as you now have heaps more info.
5th best person, thats actually your 3rd chance
6th best person, you better make a sale now, throw all your cards you have at them, because generally they have less money.

in sales BURN DOORS you don't want, ring up dubbodentist and try to sell it to them, you'll get stopped by the person who answers, they will take a message, they will never ring you back, you send an email, they will never reply, but BURN the doors you don't care about and thus learn.

you'll never get to the decision maker and when you do the same thing will happen.
so what do you do?

first is you make sure you have a site on the domain, a parked or landing page, not a netfleet/crazyD page
you can find landing page templates for free everywhere
IMO, stick with verticals that you know something about, so if you do get in you can have a conversation.
me talking about lipstick just isn't going to work in my favour
BURN DOORS, seriously, pick your worst domains and try to get rid of them, don't start with your best ones.

its all about how to get to the decision maker in this crowded world of information overload.

but remember, as someone very influential said to me yesterday , "a website , a GOOD website on a good domain is your business card to success "
he also said many people tell him they pick him simply because of his website quality.
a client of mine which i monitor conversions both online and on incoming phone calls for orders is simply because of the quality of the website and the domain name.
so these are very important aspects in the sales process, stage 1 , sell the domain to the correct person, stage 2 develop it professionally,
carsales, realestate would be nothing without good UI and UX and simple graphics and layout.

tim

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members