What's new

Selling 'caught' domains

iejs

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew what auDA's policy is on selling domains that have been bought in the drop auctions?

My understanding is that you can't sell a domain that is a new registration for 6 months, but does that include 'dropped' domains?

I suppose what I am really asking is, could I buy a domain through Drop, DomainWatch or Domain Snapper on the Monday and then put it up for sale a few days later? Or does the 6 month rule still apply?

Thanks in advance.

soj

Founder
The 6 month rule would apply as it is exactly the same as registering a new domain, well in fact you are registering a domain, though its just done as quickly as possible by the drop servers.

Link

Does Netfleet do any checking that a domain that is being sold hasn't been registered in the past 6 months before it is listed for sale?

soj

Founder
I would say no Link, but David might shed some light on their domain adding system.

djuqa

Top Contributor
The other consideration besides the 6 Month rule is USAGE
auDA requires active usage of the name during the 6 month period.

If the nameservers are not resolving to at least a static HTML page than
the name LICENSE can be revoked with No warning & no refund.

Remember auDA does not allow purchase solely for the purpose of resale.
Cybersquatting is specifically prohibited and so are "Typo" registrations.

Netfleet appears not to check names before accepting listings.
As we speak there are several names that are listed that are not allowed to be resold.
Most glaring example
realestate.asn.au
.ASN.au are not currently resellable.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I would say no Link, but David might shed some light on their domain adding system.

Hi guys,

No we used to try to check but it was too difficult to manage. You can't do it automatically because there's no way to checke when a domain is registered. So, just like Sedo, Ebay, Carsales & any other marketplace, we leave the obligation with the lister to establish whether thay can sell a domain.

We do run automatic whois checks on all listed domains to help establish ownership of the domain but again, buyers and sellers should do their own due diligence before agreeing on a transaction.

People have listed domains that have been registered for less than 6 months, been challenged by auDA but have successfully defended the challenge by arguing that they were just trying to establish market value rather than sell the domains.

However our advice is to play safe and wait for 6 months before listing.

Cheers

David

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads