1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Advertising Space on a Website

Discussion in 'Monetisation' started by Blue Wren, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

Hi DNT'ers

Got a quick question.

What documentation, formalities, papers, legal framework, or system/s, do you have in place for selling advertising space on your/a website?

I've just started to go down this road with one of my sites and any information about what others have done would be really helpful.

Thank you
    Ian

2. geodomains

geodomains Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    Hi Ian,
    I've always just given a price per year explaining what they get, once agreed, send an invoice.

Fairly straight forward, use the kiss method I say.

Don

1 person likes this.
  3. BenWalker

BenWalker Membership: Community

Hi Ian,

This is what I use.

1. Media kit. Which walks through the site statistics/membership numbers, Ad inventory, Ad specs, various costs for ad units. Weather its sponsorship or CPM and etc.

2. If they are happy to proceed with an order, then an invoice and terms and conditions. T&C covers the period of the advertisement, what happens if the site goes down/hacked etc etc.

2 people like this.
  4. Blue Wren

Blue Wren Membership: VIP

Big help Don and Ben, many thanks for that information.

Cheers :)

5. findtim

findtim Membership: VIP

auDA Member:
    Yes
    i totally agree with don, i've been doing it for years " if nothing is in writing then its just you against them"

i sell a bunch load of banners on local sites i own and its all handshake, i do the right thing and everyones happy.

stats, metrics etc are all BS and most businesses get it everyday from the radio and tv station salespeople. ( which i have been ) , so they are BORED of it.

just have a good story, "hey , i got this website and if someone was looking for YOU wouldn't you go there? yep ! well its $xxx and i can give you this this this for a year.

shake hands.... over the phone :) ....... and send an invoice, get the graphics via email and do what you promised.

if you are thinking big companies then you do need to play the game, i personally go the little guy and get momentum before spending money on mediakits.

once you have that cred its easier to sell up into higher markets.

------------

as i have said before, i do not have a single signed document between a client and myself EVER and that predates my domain era 2001 to 1994.

i suppose these days i have emails that detailing discussions, but agreements are mostly made on the phone handshake or an email saying "deal done".

KISS

tim

2 people like this.