1. Welcome to DNTrade. If you want to find out about the latest domain name industry news or talk, share, learn, buy, sell, trade or develop domain names - then you've come to the right place. It's a diverse and active community, with domain investors, web developers and online marketers - and it's free! Click here to join now.
    Dismiss Notice

Search Volume Numbers

Discussion in 'Drop.com.au' started by Bacon Farmer, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Bacon Farmer

Bacon Farmer Membership: VIP

If it's not confidential, I was wondering where you are getting your search and PPC/CPC numbers from?

Some of the numbers seem to be very low. I typically search by $ and then by #'s to filter the better domains so a low number can mean a domain gets overlooked.

Horshack likes this.
  2. Callum

Callum Membership: Community

For organic search i use Ahrefs/SEMrush. Adwords tool doesn't give accurate numbers as it clusters long tail keywords under the main short tail keyword.

For SEM - the adwords tool itself will give an estimate. You can also use SEMRush/Ahrefs to give a decent idea on the overall CPC.

3. Bacon Farmer

Hi Callum thanks for your answer, I hoping Drop.com.au would let us know where they get their numbers from :)

Callum, do you find your search numbers match those published on Drop and Netfleet? And are you happy that they are accurate?

Thanks.

4. Bacon Farmer

For example in today's drop, Drop.com.au is showing the following:

Backgammon - 73,810
    Computer Stores - 73,810

Using Serpstat, which looks like it uses numbers from adwords, I get:

Backgammon - 12,100
    Computer Stores - 3,600

5. Callum

Callum Membership: Community

Hey mate,

They are definitely way off. I get 1600 when searching "computer stores" with Ahrefs, keep in mind that is just for that keyword & no other long tail variants. Perhaps Drop & Netfleet use the Adwords API. Ahrefs uses a third party source for their keyword data which i have found to be far more reliable, their source is Click Stream. Here is a really good article explaining the difference - https://ahrefs.com/blog/keyword-search-volume/

Cheers