What's new

Rules on selling

johno69

Top Contributor
I registered a domain 4 days ago, that I was very surprised wasn't taken.

It's related to a geographical location.

I have received an email from someone wanting the domain already, what are the rules I need to follow if they offer me something I can't refuse?

I had planned to create a shopping portal / info site related to the domain.

What restrictions would be on me considering its a 4 day old rego ?

DomainMarketPlace

Top Contributor
I registered a domain 4 days ago, that I was very surprised wasn't taken.

It's related to a geographical location.

I have received an email from someone wanting the domain already, what are the rules I need to follow if they offer me something I can't refuse?

I had planned to create a shopping portal / info site related to the domain.

What restrictions would be on me considering its a 4 day old rego ?

Unfortunately you have to wait until the domain is 6 months old. The registry physically won't let you alter the details...

Alternatively I guess you could arrange some legal documents that outline a future sale/transfer of ownership.

TroyW

Top Contributor
Bit of a long shot here but may be worth investigating.

Was the domain registered under a business name? If so, it may be possible to sell the business - the domain would stay with the business and therefore would not need to be transferred. Not sure if this system would work, perhaps other here would know?

johno69

Top Contributor
The good thing is, I own the .com also, so I can tie it all together I guess.

Contract can include instant transfer of .com + other details relating to the .au

Thanks for the tips.

dotworx

Paz, i like your idea of leasing. This would get around the no-sell-for-6-month issue!

Looks like NetFleet needs a "for lease" section for those newly registered domains. Daivd...? ;-)

Ross

Top Contributor
Leasing is an awsome idea.

I actually like the idea of leasing very much... because the value of the domain appreciates over time.

Also i believe that domains now are under-priced so people who are selling good domains now might regret it later... just think of how much domains have increased in value over the last 1-2 years.

So if there was a way to get clients to lease to domain ... even for a small amount of money and on long term leases... it would be great for all domainers.

I've actually tried to lease my domain names at dnMarket.com.au but there has been no interest in the idea. However if Netfleet does it, then i'm sure there will be lots of interest.

Maybe visitors might have the option of buying OR leasing a domain name... sounds like a simple feature to add to an already great system.

DavidL

Top Contributor
I'm not sure how leasing a domain would appeal to the general population. I think most end-users will realise that by building a site, promoting the URL and building inbound links they are actually adding value to someone elses property.

So whilst it would be fantastic for domain owners I think you'd struggle to find many takers (except for the 6 mth thing described above)

Might look into it as an option though - test the waters. It does seem to be highly profitable with phonewords (1300 Australia spent millions buying numbers like 1300homeloan to lease them out) to my surprise....

dotworx

it's interesting how brick and motor businesses happily rent someone else's retail space and run their shops. Because they either couldn't afford buying, or they don't want to have so much capital lock up in a real estate upfront.

Why not domains?

LeaseThis.com has been there for years but had little success. I wonder what is missing in this industry.

paz

One of the guys from selfmademinds.com is getting pretty good at leasing out his .co.uk's - I don't see why we can't do the same here.

Go to his site and search for leasing and read about his experiences.

Community sponsors

Domain Parking Manager

AddMe Reputation Management

Digital Marketing Experts

Catch Expired Domains

Web Hosting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member